Sijad H.
Sijad H., Technician
Experience:  8+ years repairing various Garmin, TomTom and other GPS models.
61965098

GARMAN 1490 SEREAL NUMBER101433710 NOT CHARGING AND EITHER

Customer Question

GARMAN 1490 SEREAL NUMBER101433710 NOT CHARGING AND EITHER BAD CONNECTION OR FAULTY BATTERY
JA: Did you try charging your GPS from a different power source (e.g. from a wall socket or from your computer)?
Customer: YES SAME FAULT I HAVE DUPLICATE GARMIN POWERING OK ON SAME CAR LEAD
JA: Are you using the charger that came with your GPS, or an aftermarket charger?
Customer: NO ONLY GARMIN
JA: Anything else you want the GPS Expert to know before I connect you?
Customer: IF I TOUCH THE PLUG IN THE BACK IT GOES TO CHARGE AGAIN OK THEN DROPS BACK TO SAYING CHARGER IS DISCONNECTED
Category: GPS
Expert:  Nicola-mod replied 5 months ago.
Expert:  Sijad H. replied 4 months ago.

Hi, my name is ***** ***** I will be happy to assist you.

A common problem with the 1300 and 1400 series Garmin as the charging ports were not built strong enough and tend to either break off or become loose to the point that the contacts no longer touch on the board.

Garmin no longer supports repair for this device as it has been discontinued. The repair is relatively easy if you are savvy with a soldering iron. If not, any local electronics repair shop should be able to re solder the port for you relatively quickly. Here is a quick guide on how to break down the unit to get to the port: https://www.ifixit.com/Guide/Garmin+Nuvi+1490T+USB+Port+Replacement/59770

I realize this doesn't provide a quick fix for your device but I am afraid it is physically damaged internally and will need a physical repair to keep it going. If you have any additional questions or concerns about the answer I provided, please let me know. Thank you.

Best,

Sijad