Sijad H.
Sijad H., Technician
Experience:  8+ years repairing various Garmin, TomTom and other GPS models.
61965098

I have a garmin edge 1000 and it keeps shutting down after a

Customer Question

Hi I have a garmin edge 1000 and it keeps shutting down after a few seconds
JA: How old is your Edge?
Customer: 2-3 years ?
JA: What have you tried so far with your Garmin?
Customer: hard and soft reset - holding power on for 10's and then the two buttons on the front with the power button
JA: Anything else you want the GPS Expert to know before I connect you?
Customer: no just want to see what else I can do? Cheers
Category: GPS
Expert:  Sijad H. replied 4 months ago.

Hi, my name is ***** ***** I will be happy to assist you today. Sorry to hear you are having issues with your Garmin edge.

First, how old is the device? Does it do this on battery power, while connected to external power, or both? When you plug it into the computer using the USB cable, does it stay on?

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
2-3 years old, both on battery power, connected to power or a computer? It does not stay on?
Customer: replied 4 months ago.
I just want text back and forward please
Expert:  Sijad H. replied 4 months ago.

Got it, Thanks. I see you have tried to hard reset and that did not work. Please give me a minute to review some notes.

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
thanks
Customer: replied 4 months ago.
The hard reset has keeping the power button pressed for 10'seconds
Expert:  Sijad H. replied 4 months ago.

Thanks. Lets try this. Power the edge completely off. Then hold down the Lap button and while holding it down, connect it to your computer. Continue to hold the lap button, if the device doesnt turn in, press and hold the poewr button to turn it on but do not release the lap button.

This will force the device to go into storage mode. You should now have access to the garmin drive from your computer. Open the garmin drive and locate a folder labeled new files. Clear all files from that folder, and then restart your Garmin. Does it boot to the main menu now?

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
its not letting me connect to the computer so I cannot get to the files?
Expert:  Sijad H. replied 4 months ago.

Is it attempting to connect or is it just boot looping when doing the procedure above?

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
Its not attempting to connect at all it just fires up and loads Maps then shuts down?
Customer: replied 4 months ago.
it states loading maps the 3 dots then blank screen
Expert:  Sijad H. replied 4 months ago.

Got it. Please power off the device again and disconnect from the computer. Hold the lap/reset button, then plug it into the computer. This time do not press the power button, wait for the device to turn on by itself. Remember to continue holding the lap/reset button until the drive shows up on the computer.

Expert:  Sijad H. replied 4 months ago.

It can take up to 3 minutes for the device to be recognized by the computer using this method.

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
unfortunately same as before starts loading maps then 3 dots then blank screen?
Customer: replied 4 months ago.
I am leaving the garmin connected to the computer
Expert:  Sijad H. replied 4 months ago.
Ok thanks. Unfortunately it seems that your device has an internal failure with storage. The device can not properly read the boot up files and therefore resets. Without being able to get it recognized by the computer, it cannot be fixed, leading me to believe it is a hard ware issue.To send it in for repair, you will need to call(###) ###-####and request and RMA. You can also do this at support.garmin.com and then use the email function.
Customer: replied 4 months ago.
You have been very helpful thanks
Expert:  Sijad H. replied 4 months ago.
I apologize as I know this isn’t the answer you were hoping for. Sometimes with electronics it is not as easy as fixing a setting or resetting it and the failure lies with the hardware.If you have any additional questions or concerns, please let me know. If not, have a wonderful weekend. You may close this chat window if you are done.Best,
Sijad
Customer: replied 4 months ago.
Expert:  Sijad H. replied 4 months ago.
Slight correction, the phone number I provided was for the US. 0808(###) ###-####or 0370(###) ###-####are the phone numbers for the UK.