Sijad H.
Sijad H., Technician
Experience:  8+ years repairing various Garmin, TomTom and other GPS models.
61965098

I am trying to update my Drive Smart 51 over a broadband

Customer Question

Hi I am trying to update my Drive Smart 51 over a broadband connection, and although it starts off quickly with the download speed increasing once it gets to 0.05% the speed drops away to less than 100kbs per second, can you advise? I do have the latest version of Garmin Express installed.
JA: What Operating System (OS) are you running on your computer or device?
Customer: Hi Using Windows 10 Home version 1903
JA: When did you last update your software?
Customer: Today
JA: Anything else you want the Software Expert to know before I connect you?
Customer: Not that I am aware off, thanks
Category: GPS
Expert:  Sijad H. replied 6 days ago.

Hi, my name is Sijad and I will be happy to assist you. Sorry to hear you are having issues updating your device.

The most common issue that causes this problem is antivirus and firewalls. Some antivirus and firewalls are programmed to prevent connection that are made by Garmin to update your device. Please close Garmin express, disable your firewall or antivirus temporarily and then run the update again. To prevent this in the future, add Garmin.com as an authorized website to your internet security software.

Customer: replied 3 days ago.
Hi Sijad, apologies for not replying sooner. Unfortunately this did not fix the problem, but on wiping the Satnav and reinstalling with the option to update over wi-fi rather than just when linked to a PC this solved the problem. Thanks Moray
Expert:  Sijad H. replied 2 day ago.

Awesome. Updating via Wi-Fi is another method. If you choose to update via computer in the future, you need to be sure your settings allow a connection to the internet for Garmin Express. Please let us know if there is anything else we can assist you with.

Best,

Sijad