DR.Cummins
DR.Cummins, FIELD SERVICE TECHNICIAN
Experience:  16 Years working on Cummins Diesel engines,
28984014

Have a 2006 model Cummins ISMe 420 engine fitted in a Foden

Hi have a 2006 model Cummins ISMe 420 engine fitted in a Foden Alpha,,, its been out of service for a while we had it running to move about and left it running for a bit and it died,,, re started ran for 10 secs died again,,, drained fuel tank replaced filter made no difference since then I have ran 25 ltr drum striaght to filter housing,,, to test but the smae symptoms it wil crank for 6-7 secs run at idel for 10 secs,,, no smoke,, then start hunting for 10 to 12 secs and shut off,,,, we have plugged in but not insite its texa,,, no faults,,, we sent ECU away to be checked came back no faults,,, I have removed shut off Mag soenoid made no difference,,, checked filter in pump no difference,,, noticed that rtn line at idel seems to have good flow,,, not sure it should have this much,,, my next step was to fir compucheck fitting type pressure guage to pump to check fuel rail pressure on HP side but need to know what the press should be,,, also thought could it be fuel shortage or the ECM detecting fuel problem and shutting power to injectors so was going to check voltage at injectors when running if I knew Voltage,,,any ideas
JA: What is the complete model and serial number of your machine?
Customer: Its a truck but that irrelevent its an 06 model British built Euro 3 ISMe 10.8 ltr 420 hp
JA: Anything else you want the Equipment Mechanic to know before I connect you?
Customer: well its uk spec,,, is he in uk
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Eng Ser Number - 35119388

Hello and Welcome to Just Answer! Thank you for your question. I look forward to working with you to provide you the information you are seeking.Below is the fuel PSI. If the injectors were being held back from firing there would be fault codes. There is no voltage at the injectors it is all commanded by a signal from the ecm. Also check the fuel shut off selinoid with the wire removed you should have 6 to 15 ohms and the wire on the valve should be equal to battery voltage if not the ECM is the problem and not providing the proper voltage to the FSOS . There would not be a fault code for that. Check fuel PSI first

Minimum Fuel Pressure:

During Cranking172 kPa [25 psi]

1200 rpm827 kPa [120 psi]

Governed rpm1034 to 1241 kPa [150 to 180 psi]

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I have removed guts of fuel solenoid as you can with the way the ECM is configured on the Foden truck,,, this made no difference,,, and as stated the ECM has been sent to a cummins ecu specilaist and came back with no faults
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I can rule the FSOS out straight away and the ECM,,,, any other info

Minimum Fuel Pressure:

During Cranking172 kPa [25 psi]

1200 rpm827 kPa [120 psi]

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
ok so where do you check the pressures !!!

At the compucheck fitting!

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I noticed there are 2 i take it one is LP suction side and one is HP is that correct and thats on the PT pump correct
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
if I connect pressur guage to the HP side of pump and still get the correct pressures,,, what next,,, and if not will it be the Pump !!

Check the PSI first That's the likely cause with NO FAULTS IN THE ECM, then check the engine position sensor, check for oil in the connector and damage to to the face. ohms should be 1000 to 2000 ohms . But that would throw a fault too but NOT all the time.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
when you say engine postion sensor do you mean crank sensor,,, and resistance measurement is of that sensor

It reads the Camshaft gear. But yes.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
ok where is this postioned on engine
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
also do you know what min eng lube oil pressure is on this engine,, before inhibit lifts i was told 10psi !!!!

You were told correctly

Oil Pressure:

Low Idle (minimum allowable)70 kPa [10 psi]

At 1200 rpm or Peak Torque (minimum allowable)207 kPa [30 psi]

The engine position sensor is located in the gear housing above/behind air compressor

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
ok so just to conclude I check pressure at pump on compucheck fittings,,, if pressures not met its a Pump Problem or Drive problem
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
If Pressures are maintained and good,,, then check Crank Cam sensor,,, if tis is Good any other ideas !!
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
for example would an injector issue on one unit cause this,,, I work on a lot of Scania engines with the HPI system wheich is basically cummins,,, we have issue with the three rings on injectors,,, if one is worn it can loose total rail pressure and bypass o ring and dump fuel back throw return line

you are on the right track but a injector oring will not cause this as this is not a high PSI engine and you have no rail pressure. what ever the pump is producing is the pressure to the injectors. A simple system.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Ok my last question is I noticed when running quite a bit of flow through return line,,, historically from my experience with other engine I would say it was too much flow at idel speed ,,, does the ism throw quite a bit back through the return line at idel speed