How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Andrew Smith Your Own Question
Andrew Smith
Andrew Smith, Plumber
Category: Home Improvement
Satisfied Customers: 3756
Experience:  City and Guilds Qualified plumber
Type Your Home Improvement Question Here...
Andrew Smith is online now

Hello, I currently have a duct system throughout the flat

Customer Question


I currently have a duct system throughout the flat which pulls air out of each room into a central fan box located in a hallway cupboard. This has an outlet which goes through the roof to outside. Is it possible to use the existing duct system but in reverse so that I replace the fan with an airconditioner and it blows cold air through to the rooms through the existing duct and the exhaust also use the existing vent to outside and I guess normal air is drawn in from the window slits to the cupboard... if so what kind of unit is suitable?

Submitted: 4 years ago.
Category: Home Improvement
Expert:  adamd-mod replied 4 years ago.

Hello there,

I've been working hard to find a Professional to assist you with your question, but sometimes finding the right Professional can take a little longer than expected.

I wonder whether you're ok with continuing to wait for an answer. If you are, please let me know and I will continue my search. If not, feel free to let me know and I will cancel this question for you.

Please note, I am just a moderator for this category, I can only try and find experts to help, I can't answer the question itself.

Thank you!


Customer: replied 4 years ago.

Experts only like to answer easy questions!

Expert:  adamd-mod replied 4 years ago.


We will continue to look for a Professional to assist you.

If you decide on a refund, or wish to keep the credit for a future question, then of course we'd honour it.

Thank you for your patience,


Expert:  Andrew Smith replied 4 years ago.
A typical warm air system would not have an outlet on the roof?
Normally you put heat out through registers into the rooms and the return air is pulled from a central place - does this sound like your system?
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

The current system has a warm air outlet on the balcony roof. Air is pulled from bathrooms and living room. therefore I assume outside air flows in through either open windows, doors or vents in the windows. The power device sits in the laundry cupboard where the room inlets feed into. It has multiple inputs and one output. The one ouput is the one which runs to the balcony. Therefore with that existing plumbing if I put a unit of some kind in place of the existing power unit but where the outlet to the balcony is will become the outlet for hot air produced by the airconditioner. then the cold air will be sent out to the rooms. Then I assume normal air would be pulled in from the rest of the flat but to the laundry cupboard which I guess I would have to have a vent on so air could be drawn in....

Expert:  Andrew Smith replied 4 years ago.
It sounds feasible if you are able to run the unit in reverse.
It sounds like a heat recovery system the way you have explained it this time.
Do you have a make and model and I will look into if it is possible?
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

Hi Sorry for slow reply. Will confirm this.

Expert:  Andrew Smith replied 4 years ago.
no problem, let me know
Customer: replied 4 years ago.



It is called a ITHO CVE Eco 2 RF (Climate for Life) - 'an extractor unit...'


Heard of this?





Expert:  Andrew Smith replied 4 years ago.
Yes, it is a mechanical ventilation system to remove damp air from the house, usually the kitchen and the bathroom.
It cannot run backwards.
You may be able to get a ventilation expert to fit an additional fan to the existing system to blow?