How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Andrew Smith Your Own Question
Andrew Smith
Andrew Smith, Plumber
Category: Home Improvement
Satisfied Customers: 3757
Experience:  City and Guilds Qualified plumber
Type Your Home Improvement Question Here...
Andrew Smith is online now

I have bought an appliance which requires a max loading of

Customer Question

I have bought an appliance which requires a max loading of 3.6kw. I believe this should be hard wired. What is the size of cable back to the Consummer Unit, should this be a ring or single cable, also what size breaker in the Consummer Unit ? All advice would be much appreciated.

Submitted: 4 years ago.
Category: Home Improvement
Expert:  Andrew Smith replied 4 years ago.

Andrew Smith :

3.6kW @ 230V is 15.6A

Andrew Smith :

You will be fine with a 4mm T&E cable running back to a 20A RCD

Andrew Smith :

The size of the cable depends on the length of the run and what is is encased in (plaster, etc)

JACUSTOMER-nvhznm51- :

When investigating further I find I have a unused 6mm T&E cable running back to a 32A Contactum MCB, would this be OK to use? Should I replace the 32A MCB with a 20A MCB (these come in 3 types, which one do I use) ?

Andrew Smith :

The cable will be fine, you will need to down-size the breaker with a 20A MCB - get the make and model from the 32A one that is currently installed, or take it out and take it to a electrical distributor and get them to match it.