How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Gary Your Own Question
Gary, Handyman
Category: Home Improvement
Satisfied Customers: 246
Experience:  25 yrs in home repair/building - 10 yr in live theatre set design/building
Type Your Home Improvement Question Here...
Gary is online now

I have a query regarding building regulations. I am a homeowner

This answer was rated:

I have a query regarding building regulations. I am a homeowner of a twin town house with a kitchen extension at the back, built into the garden. I would like to build a wooden decked summer terrace on top of this extension, with stairs leading down to the garden (the terrace is adjacent to the living room on the first floor).
Would this be possible, and do I require building regulation permits of any kind? If so, when and where should I seek such documents? What conditions do I have to meet in building such a terrace and what building regulations are in place governing this type of structure?

Gary :

Hi and thank you for using Just Answer. Per your question it is hard for me or anyone to truthfully tell you if your project can be done or not. It falls down into 2 different categories. 1) If the structure capable to handle the extra load you are requiring about. With this extra load you need to take into consideration the weight of people that will be with you enjoying your new view. 2) This part would fall into what your local building code would allow. If you are inside a community township then your local city government will tell you what you need, just as your county government would do. Depending on your location and ordinance, you can build/create things that don't require a permit. Now this being said there is normally a dollar amount attached to it. What that is I don't know. This is where your local building inspection office comes in. This would hold true to all of the requirements you'll need to meet as well. I wish you the best. Gary


okay thank you

Gary and other Home Improvement Specialists are ready to help you