How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask canuck the pro Your Own Question
canuck the pro
canuck the pro, Handyman
Category: Home Improvement
Satisfied Customers: 2946
Experience:  Handyman
Type Your Home Improvement Question Here...
canuck the pro is online now

I have 3 halogen rope/wire systems each with 5 x 35w bulbs.

Customer Question

I have 3 halogen rope/wire systems each with 5 x 35w bulbs. The transformers are circular, 6ins in diameter and 3ins deep. They connect to the wire/rope by similar plastic coated cables that are screwed into the 5 metre rope/wire to form a connection. One of the transformers no longer works. I am unable to find a similar transformer to replace. Is it possible to use a different type of transformer and if so, what type.
Thank you.
Submitted: 4 years ago.
Category: Home Improvement
Expert:  canuck the pro replied 4 years ago.

canuck the pro :

Hi, my name is XXXXX XXXXX I have been in the home improvement and repair field for 20 years. I will be glad to help you today. You can use a different transformer but it must have the same specifications.

JACUSTOMER-x8gaz1au- :

The inside cover of the current transformer has this label:

JACUSTOMER-x8gaz1au- :

The inside

JACUSTOMER-x8gaz1au- :

The inside of the current transformer has this label:






FUSE 2.5At


GU5.3 MAX 5X35W

canuck the pro :

Can you send a picture of it also?

JACUSTOMER-x8gaz1au- :

I believe the model is HBL 180 - and I have found a link for a similar model - This is a Chinese company and I think it is aimed at manufacturer. Photos of mine attached, with and without a cover.

Full Size Image
Full Size Image
Full Size Image

canuck the pro :

I am unsure so far if that is a proper replacement. I will find out.