How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Andrew Smith Your Own Question
Andrew Smith
Andrew Smith, Plumber
Category: Home Improvement
Satisfied Customers: 3756
Experience:  City and Guilds Qualified plumber
Type Your Home Improvement Question Here...
Andrew Smith is online now

I have a hole in the ceiling of my 1901 house, just below the

Customer Question

I have a hole in the ceiling of my 1901 house, just below the attic and next to the wall adjacent to the staircase. The plaster is crumbling. How can I mend this?
Submitted: 3 years ago.
Category: Home Improvement
Expert:  Andrew Smith replied 3 years ago.

Andrew Smith : IF it is on brickwork it is best to remove back until you find something solid and replaster the area
Andrew Smith : If it is on the ceiling it is usually best to cut away between 2 joists and replace with plasterboard and replaster
Andrew Smith : If it just a small hole you may be able to tape it and plaster it
Andrew Smith : Something slightly larger you may be able to bridge from behind and insert a small piece of plasterboard before replastering