How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask AssuredElectrical Your Own Question
AssuredElectrical, Home Improvement Enthusiast
Category: Home Improvement
Satisfied Customers: 4241
Experience:  Electrical contractor's license
Type Your Home Improvement Question Here...
AssuredElectrical is online now

I want to have some new electrical equipment installed in my

This answer was rated:

I want to have some new electrical equipment installed in my house as part of a kitchen refit. This equipment will include two oven, an induction hob and extractor fan. My electrician is advising me to have my main supply fuse (that's before the meter) update rated to 100amps. My consumer unit is already rated at 100 amps. I was advised that this would need to be carried out by Western Power Distribution. On contact them they paid me a vist to assess my current supply. Then then informed me that I would need a secondary supply bringing into the house. As you can imagine this was going to be costly and I would also require a second meter which would increase my on going supply cost. I asked if there was any alternative options. The engineer then said they could take a tail of the supply before the fuse and treat this as my additional new supply which I turn would be fused before the new meter. I have agreed to this. My question is if the main supply can be split once in my house, which to me states that my main supply cable can take the increased current, then why can't they just increase the main supply fuse to the 100 amps required? Hope you can help.
AssuredElectrical :

Welcome. My name is ***** ***** would be glad to assist.

The main cable supply connects to the utility and then to the fuse connection, then another cable on to the meter, then to the house panel.

If the panel has a 100 amp main breaker, then it is at its maximum already for supply. The rating on a panel is the maximum amperage allowed to the panel, not necessarily what you actually have in place.

The amount you have in place is dictated by the fuse size and/or main breaker in the panel.

Unless the fuses are 100 amps, The cable to the fuse connection is larger than the cable after the fuse connection.

The fuses protect the wiring to the meter and on to the panel.

This would be why they can connect prior to the fuses and add another set of fuses for the second meter because the cable prior is rated for a higher amperage.

In order to increase the fuses to the existing panel now, all the wiring after the fuses would require changing in order to have the panel at its rated maximum of 100 amps. Also, there would have to be enough room in the panel for all the addition

Hope the explanation is understandable, Let me know if any clarification is needed,


AssuredElectrical and other Home Improvement Specialists are ready to help you