How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Michael Your Own Question
Michael, Home Appliance Technician
Category: Home Improvement
Satisfied Customers: 9568
Experience:  Home Appliance Technician
Type Your Home Improvement Question Here...
Michael is online now

I live in a semi detached thatched cottage, next door has become

This answer was rated:

I live in a semi detached thatched cottage, next door has become a holiday let .
I am worried about people, who have no experience,lighting the wood burning stove. Is there anything I can do about this?
No , not really. I would speak to the owners about your concerns and maybe offer to greet the holiday nmakers and offer to show them how to use it safely. Legally a holiday let should take safety concerns seriously, and put smoke alarms up and even have a fire extinguisher handy. Put smoke alarms up in your own cottage.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

I already new that I wanted professional legal advise

Well your in the wrong section. This is home improvement. You need legal
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

That's what I asked for

Customer: replied 2 years ago.

I want my money refunded

Hi I am Tech Michael, a different expert;-)
I will need a bit of information to help you with this.
Do you own this residence? Or do you rent this from the owner?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

I need a legal view on this, but I am not prepared to pay a more money. I don't want to throw good money after bad. I just want a refund

Hi I understand, I can help you with this if you would like, it wont cost you anything further to rte once I give you the assistance you require. Please let me know if you still would like the advice? But I will need the information I requested from you

Or I will forward this to CS for a refund?

Do you own this residence? Or do you rent this from the owner?

Customer: replied 2 years ago.

If you can give me a satisfactory answer I will proceed, but I thought I was going to get

legal advise, as I googled solicitors on line.

I do own the property. The owner of the rented property adjoining my lives some distance away.

Hi Thanks and sorry for any mis communication;-)
So the property is yours, and you have concerns about the cottage. specifically the fireplace or wood burning stove.
I have a home with a fireplace sub let in the summer as well so I understand.
Is that for heat or is there also an other source of heat in the cottage?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

The house being holiday let has calor gas central heating and gas cooker. But also a wood burning stove. I am concerned that some people like the thought of a wood burning stove but do not have any experience in lighting and tending them, which is disconcerting as we have a thatched roof

Thank you for that.
Form a legal standpoint you can increase your fire insurance if you are allowing them to use the stove. I don't allow use of the fireplace because its just too easy for a major disaster especially if they aren't fully aware of the danger and how to properly use the appliance.
In the lease I had drawn up by an attorney I state that the fireplace (in your case the wood burning stove) is not to be used under any circumstance..
And you can tell them why especially since your cottage has a thatched roof. Some of my tenants were a little upset by that but all of them understood and in your case I'm sure they would be fine with this.
That is how I would handle this situation, better to be safe than sorry ;-)
If you need anything further please let me know. I will be available to you even after you rate my service at no cost, also it wont cost you anything and I really hope this helps you because I have almost the exact same situation and this has worked out well for me.
Have a great weekend.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

The problem is Michael is that I do not own the property that is being let it's the adjoining property to mine. This is my concern, for all I know the property could be under insured.

Hi I see, yes thats a problem, how far away are these two homes?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

It is attached to mine, from the front you would think it is all one house.

and the thatched roof looks like one roof. So if there is a fire arising

from either property It would be disaster for both.

I agree with you 100%.
You can talk to the owner of that space to see if they allow the tenants to use the stove, but you can also go to the town to file an appeal.
This is very inexpensive and the law will likely agree as well that this is a fire hazard. I have been through that process too, and its easy and quick at least.
If the landlord of the property is unwilling to cooperate then I would pursue legal action in this manner, but I would give them a chance to understand your well founded concerns. Also its very possible they are insured well, talk with them about that as well, that may work out well for you if they are, then at least you wont have to worry so much about this. If all else fails, go to the town, they will either make the owner increase their insurance because the homes are attached or stop the stove from use permanently. These days, they are very understanding about this sort of thing, back in the day, you would have had your hands full but not any longer;-) The laws on this are different and they take into account the possibility of lawsuits and the loss of life that are possible in this situation.
I'm here if you need me.
Please remember to rate kindly, it is the only way I receive credit for my time with you, and it wont cost you anything to do so. Also you wont lose contact with me after rating, and there is no further cost to you.
Michael, Home Appliance Technician
Category: Home Improvement
Satisfied Customers: 9568
Experience: Home Appliance Technician
Michael and other Home Improvement Specialists are ready to help you
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Thanks Michael. I will give it a try.