How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Plumberpro Your Own Question
Plumberpro, Plumber
Category: Home Improvement
Satisfied Customers: 634
Experience:  Fully qualified plumbing , heating and gas engineer 20 years experience
Type Your Home Improvement Question Here...
Plumberpro is online now

I have a 50Amp direct feed to a shower heater switch. Having

Customer Question

I have a 50Amp direct feed to a shower heater switch. Having installed a combi boiler this switch is now redundant. What elase can I used this 50A power supply for. It is in my upstairs ceiling so I could connect to some plug sockets in the loft but no idea if the sockets will melt with 50Amp flowing through it or if I plug a hoover into a socket fed by 50A will kill the hoover.
If I can't use it what is the safest way of blanking the live end off?
Submitted: 1 year ago.
Category: Home Improvement
Expert:  Plumberpro replied 1 year ago.
Hi , yes you can use it for sockets. You would just need to change the fuse to 32amps. You would only be drawing 3kw max at a socket so there is no danger . It is only dangerous when drawing too much power through a cable too small too carry a lot of power. Your cable for the shower would be easily big enough
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Is that the fuse in the RCD breaker under the stairs? It seems to have its own trip. 63A 30mA 230v. Do i just pull it out and plonk a new one in there? What size wiring cable should I use for a double socket? The 50A cable is huge and assume need to connect via a junction box...
Expert:  Plumberpro replied 1 year ago.
Hi yes, replace the rcd breaker. Pull it out ( some are u see a cover that would have to be removed,usually just a couple of screws, take it to an electrical suppliers and ask for the lower amp one