How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask JamesI Your Own Question
JamesI, Developer
Category: Home Improvement
Satisfied Customers: 2155
Experience:  I have a portfolio of renovated houses, including DIY projects from installing bathrooms and new heating systems to rewiring.
Type Your Home Improvement Question Here...
JamesI is online now

ELECTRICIAN question: If I am changing the pendant light in

This answer was rated:

ELECTRICIAN question: If I am changing the pendant light in a bathroom to an enclosed light in a rental property let to tenants, do I need a qualified electrician to do the job? It is replacing the existing light for a new light.

Good evening,

Firstly it doesnt make any difference if the property is let or for personal use, unless you hold an HMO licence.

Any person is permitted to do any electrical work, the only requirement is for certain works if your not Part P certified (an electrician) to have building control notified.

The good news is changing sockets, switches and ceiling roses do not require notification to building control, however the works still must be performed to building regulation standards, which in summary means the replacement light should be enclosed (and out of reach of a wet surface) - which is what your suggesting, the only thing you may not have considered is the light switch needs to out of reach of a wet surface (eg outside of the bathroom, or a pull cord), and the lighting circuit must be protected by an RCD \ RCBO.

So providing these requirements are met, and the new light is fitted as per instructions, you can do the work yourself.

JamesI and other Home Improvement Specialists are ready to help you