canuck the pro
canuck the pro, Handyman
Experience:  Handyman
64367226

Is there much difference between a hardwired smoke alarm and

Is there much difference between a hardwired smoke alarm and a battery operated one?

Hi, my name is ***** ***** I have been in the home improvement and repair field for 20 years. I will be glad to help you today.

The largest difference is that code requires a wired smoke alarm outside all sleeping areas, one in every sleeping room and one on each floor. If you are adding a smoke alarm and there are smoke alarms in all areas that are required that are wired than there is not a lot of difference.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Hi, thanks for the answer. The question is, does one work better than another? Or do they both work the same as long as you have up to date batteries in the battery operated one.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
The question was not about legislation for smoke alarms. thanks.

They would be just as reliable as long as the batteries are updated. One small advantage of only battery powered is that if one had low batteries then that is the only one that will beep. Hardwired they all beep and you pretty much have to replace all of the batteries. Overall there is not any difference in function.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Ok thanks very much.

You are very welcome