How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask JamesI Your Own Question
JamesI, Developer
Category: Home Improvement
Satisfied Customers: 2084
Experience:  I have a portfolio of renovated houses, including DIY projects from installing bathrooms and new heating systems to rewiring.
Type Your Home Improvement Question Here...
JamesI is online now

A recent problem has developed in my house: whenever I try

Customer Question

A recent problem has developed in my house: whenever I try to use the vacuum cleaner of skill saw, the main house circuit breaker trips. This also happens if I try to use more than one other appliance at the same time (i.e. the kettle and the toaster). None of the individual circuit breakers trip, it's always the house main. In a 3,500 sq. ft. house, there's a lot of re-settings each time this happens. Any thoughts?
Submitted: 9 months ago.
Category: Home Improvement
Expert:  Oleksandr-Mod replied 9 months ago.
I've been working hard to find a Professional to assist you with your question, but sometimes finding the right Professional can take a little longer than expected.
I wonder whether you're ok with continuing to wait for an answer. If you are, please let me know and I will continue my search. If not, feel free to let me know and I will cancel this question for you.
Thank you!
Expert:  JamesI replied 9 months ago.

Can you confirm your talking about the double pole red switch located to either far left or right of the consumer unit or the RCD.

This type of fault is normally associated with a RCD, which is identified by looking for the word RCBO or RCD on the module and double the size of the other breakers within the consumer unit.

From what you have suggested its a fault within the consumer unit, as the fault is not related to a specific appliance, nor a specific plug socket.

Assuming its the RCD this is most likely a faulty RCD which is incorrectly detecting earth leakage, hence its not exceeding the 32A rating for the circuit fuse to trip, but some voltage going to earth and tripping independently, a new RCD costs around £15.

Should the red double pole switch be tripping without any of the other circuits tripping this points towards the switch thinking there was more than 100A being pulled across all the circuits and tripping, a new double pole main switch is around £10.

If you would like an electrician to attend to replace the fault consumer unit module please provide me with your postcode.