JamesI, Developer
Experience:  I have a portfolio of renovated houses, including DIY projects from installing bathrooms and new heating systems to rewiring.

I have a &S 28M707-1152-E1. The battery doesn't seem to be

Hi I have a B&S 28M707-1152-E1. The battery doesn't seem to be charging on the mower. I replaced the battery and that dies as well. When i take out the battery and trickle charge it it all works fine again, until it dies. I checked the dual alternator I have 14 Vac coming out on the black wire, lights side, and -9 V DC on the red side, red meter lead to the the red wire and black to ground. But I got no DC current when removed the fuse and i placed my meter in it's place. There is another diode in series, after the one connected to the alternator. Both diodes are fine and the alternator is clean and doesn't look burnt out. Any help.
Regards Anthony.

Hi Anthony,

Have you checked the charger is working, what lights show on the charger after you have left it on charge?

Secondly what is the voltage of the battery after you have left it charged?

Customer: replied 8 months ago.
The lights all showed that the battery was fine and it had 13.7v after it charged

The fact the mower runs without issue when the battery charged, and its running at 14VAC, but the battery isnt being maintained at that voltage points towards the charging circuit on the mower.

In terms of placing your meter in place of the fuse, this would have put it in series not in parallel, so wouldnt have worked anyway.

Customer: replied 8 months ago.
Thanks James I think i know where i went wring.

Let me know how you get on, and if you need any further assistance troubleshooting.

Just remember for the voltage to be be accurate you need to be testing it under load.

Customer: replied 8 months ago.
Great How do i rate you?

Please use the star rating at the top of the page.