Plumberpro
Plumberpro, Plumber
Experience:  Fully qualified plumbing , heating and gas engineer 20 years experience
77408428

I would appreciate some advice about kitchen lighting. I

Customer Question

I would appreciate some advice about kitchen lighting.
I have downlighters under my kitchen cupboards, which are LED 24v in what appears to be a sealed unit with a short lead and connector. In all, there are about 12 of these.
Recently, the one at what I think is the end of the circuit turned itself off after just a couple of minutes. A week or so later, the two lights prior to the end one also went out. Now the three at the beginning of the circuit also turn themselves off.
When I first turn on the lights, all of them come on initially, but after just 2-4 minutes they turn themselves off.
Please could you advise me if this is just the sealed units needing to be replaced due to age, they are all a little over five years old, or could there be a more fundamental problem?
I don't want to call in an electrician if it's just a case of buying new bulb units and installing them, I can do that myself.
The other lights/sockets in the kitchen are all fine, but it does seem odd to me that all of the lights work initially and then turn themselves off.
Thank you, Libby
Category: Home Improvement
Expert:  JamesI replied 11 months ago.

Hi Libby,

This does sound like its the transformers at fault which take the 230v mains voltage and drop them to 24V for the bulbs to use.

Can you upload a picture of the transformer and also the lights fitted in the cupboard, so I can get a better understanding of the type of setup, as there may be a cheaper option to buy a larger transformer to power all the lights rather than replacing each transformer.

Lastly do you have access to a multi meter, in order to check if power is being output to the led's?