JamesI
JamesI, Developer
Experience:  I have a portfolio of renovated houses, including DIY projects from installing bathrooms and new heating systems to rewiring.
75967336

Domestic hot water tank has a fine red net like deposit

Domestic hot water tank has a fine red net like deposit around the inside attached to the sides and ball valve. The water inside the tank has become warm.

The header tank is likely having water from the hot water cylinder over flow into it, this can occur when pressure builds up in the hot water tank (or central heating system) due to water expanding as its heated, look for the overflow pipe which sits above the header tank and see if there is sign of water flowing out of it when the hot water tank or central heating have been running for a few hours.

Customer: replied 10 months ago.
Thank you for your reply James,
I am aware that the overflow pipe has discharged into the tank. I am more concerned about the red discharge or growth around the sides. This system has been in use for the past 12 years and not caused any problems. My thoughts are that the discharge into the tank may be restricting the systems flow and resulting into the overflow. Please advise?

Flow rate wouldnt cause the overflow more reduce the efficiency of the radiators/hot water tank, the red deposit in the tank is most likely rust. You would see the same type of deposit if you drained a radiator, as the inhibitor such as Furnox reduces rather than prevents corrosion and rust, after 8 years you would start to see such deposits, so 12 years on I wouldnt be concerned, and wouldnt do anything about it for another 5 or more years, until you decide to replace a boiler/hot water tank or change radiators.

You could flush the entire system out, to remove the rust from the systems, but from my experience its often a waste of time and money, as the gain is short lived; you will find the deposits will reoccur in a couple of years, since the damage has already been done within the radiators and rust will form more easily.