Andrew Smith
Andrew Smith, Plumber
Experience:  City and Guilds Qualified plumber
46681511

I am considering a replacement of a small felt roof which is

I am considering a replacement of a small felt roof which is located over a bay window and is approximately less than 2 sq m.
I will be replacing the felt with different roofing system which is supposed to be with higher performance.
The main roof of the house is hipped and will not be altered.
My questions is - do I need to involve building control with regards ***** ***** small flat roof?
This can be classed as a repair. It is not a change of use and an improvement.
The only issue you would have is if your house has a preservation order or is listed.
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
Hi, Thank you for your reply
Just to clarify I am planning a complete replacement/with a different material/ of the current roofing system not a repair.
There is no preservation order, but my concern is based on info at https://www.planningportal.co.uk/info/200130/common_projects/47/roof
where it is stated that if you replace less that 25% of a flat roof you do not need to involve building control, but regarding replacement of more that 25% of the roof surface/it does not specify whether this applies only to main roof or includes small bay window roofs/ you will need to upgrade the thermal insulation to the current standards.
Also, it states that 'Making significant changes to thermal elements (walls, roofs or floors) would normally require Building Regulations approval and require the thermal insulation of the element to be upgraded to a reasonable standard'. The bay window roof possible would be classified as either part of the room wall or roof so it seems to me that it might fall into this category.
What is your view on the above?
They are talking about major works to your main roof.
Trying to stop cheap repairs by cowboys and changing the type- like roof tiles to felt.
Insulation is always a good idea if you are stripping the decking too
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
Thank you, ***** ***** your answer and do not mean to be disrespectful but how can you be sure that they only mean the main roof if it is not specified there?
I understand your doubt, but the only way for sure is to speak to your local council. They will quite happily go through it with you.
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
No problem.
It's all down to local interpretation but I don't think you should worry.