JamesI, Developer
Experience:  I have a portfolio of renovated houses, including DIY projects from installing bathrooms and new heating systems to rewiring.

The pilot light has gone out and will not reset, have

The pilot light has gone out and will not reset, have pressed reset. Thermostat etc is on. Please Help

Whats the make and model of the boiler.

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
Potterton gold h18

Is there any sign of life on the boiler?

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
Reset button glowing red

Is the lockout light (bottom left also glowing red), and are any other lights on or flashing?

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
Reset button bottom right is the only thing that is lit up and that's red. I've just turned the mains off for a few mins and that light has gone off now

Ok so you now have no lights showing on the control panel?

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
The red light is on and 2 green lights are flashing. According to the book we think dry fire.?

Correct thats what I make it too, so your following the fault chart on page 54,

Let me know if you need me to clarifying anything in the fault finding steps shown on the manual.

Customer: replied 1 month ago.

Ok I will await to hear back from you.

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
The boiler has come back on don't know how?

Ok the red light which was on was for a lock out, but powering off the boiler and restarting it the lockout was cleared.

If the boiler fails to detect sufficient flow/water in the system 3 times then the lockout will come back in and you will once again need to power off the boiler.

Should the fault occur again, run back through the fault finding chart in the install manual you have, most likely its a fault on the pump or the PCB.

Do let me know if you need anything further.

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
Thanks for your help. Its turned off again. Only the right green light is on now and still wont relight. Nothing in fault finder for off off on sequence.

OFF OFF ON is normal operation, as is OFF ON ON.

In essence the boiler has power, but it believes there is no call for heat.

What happens if you boot boost / manual override on for hot water.

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
Nothing happens with boost

Ok switch off the boiler and switch it on again and see if it comes back to life if it doesnt, it points towards a faulty PCB.

Since its in a ready state and if its not starting its not getting the call for heat signal from the programmer\thermostat.

I havent heard from you in some time, do you need anything further?

Customer: replied 27 days ago.
Hi thanks for your help. We need a new central heating pump, the engineer told us. The boiler is working well at the moment but will get new part soon. Thanks again.