JamesI
JamesI, Developer
Experience:  I have a portfolio of renovated houses, including DIY projects from installing bathrooms and new heating systems to rewiring.
75967336

Actually it is an electrical problem.It is appreciated if

Actually it is an electrical problem.It is appreciated if you could refer my enquirer to an expert electrician.
While I was changing the light in the shower room I found that the earth wire is electrocuted even if the power is switched off. How dangerous is this and what should I do. Thank you

Hi Riadh, thank you for choosing Just Answer, my name is ***** ***** I will help with your query today.

So I am clear your saying that the earth wire (yellow and green) on the lamp is live, can you confirm if the other two wires (blue - neutral and brown - live) are dead?

The earth should never be live so this is a major concern and risk, as it could result in a number of appliances being a risk to causing electric shock.

Customer: replied 6 months ago.
The brown is live and the black is dead

So the circuit hasnt been isolated properly.

With the lighting ring main off none of the 3 cores should be live. With correct wiring in place only brown should be live the neutral would only be live if its the return from the switch but in that case should have some brown or red sleaving over it.

In summary you have a serious electrical fault on your lighting circuit.

Customer: replied 6 months ago.
when the power is off. When the power is on both the brown wire and the earth are live.

Ok the earth wire should never be live, as would act as neutral in the event there is an earth leakage fault.

Start by tracing back the wire and see where the earth is connected, it could be the live insulation has failed and making contact with the earth within the cable or the other end of the cable has been incorrectly terminated.

Customer: replied 6 months ago.
I checked the wire at the switch and found that the earth is live all times whether the switch is on or off. The earth wire is not connected to an earth terminal at switch , it is left free because there is no terminal in the switch for the earth.It could be the touch between the earth wire and the live only it happens somewhere between the switch and the light . In this case the problem is only local within the wiring of the light. I am going to check the earth wire/s in two more location in the house to confirm that the problem is only in the shower light wiring. Please advise. thanks
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
The earth wire is dead in other two locations in the house. This is a good news I suppose as the problem is within the shower light wiring.
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
waiting for your advice please.

Right as we know the fault isnt present anywhere else, start be disconnecting all three wires in the lamp energise the circuit and check to see if the earth is live.

Then disconnect all wires for that cable in the switch and again energise the circuit and see if the earth is live.

Then check continuity across earth and live (with the the three wires disconnected at either end (lamp and switch), if you have continuity it shows the fault is the cable.

Ive not received a rating or response from you in some time please rate the received by me using the star rating on this page or let me know how I can assist you further.

James