JamesI
JamesI, Developer
Experience:  I have a portfolio of renovated houses, including DIY projects from installing bathrooms and new heating systems to rewiring.
75967336

New lighting put into small barn conversion in sitting room,

Customer Question

New lighting put into small barn conversion in sitting room, comprising six recessed wall lights and six pendant lights, controlled with one wall switch. Electric***** *****ged single switch to single dimmer switch to make level of lighting more flexible. Dimmer switch turned to high made fuse blow in fuse box. Electrician blanked off final three recessed lights in 'chain' of lights in the room to stop fuse blowing. Is there a better solution to problem, please?
Category: Home Improvement
Expert:  JamesI replied 2 months ago.

Hi, thank you for choosing Just Answer, my name is ***** ***** I will help with your query today.

I see you raised the question a few days ago, so wanted to check you are still in need of assistance?

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
I haven't received any response at all. I was wondering if the dimmer system requires higher fuse protection. I understand that dimmers working by continually turning on an off to achieve the dim lighting effect. With 12 lights on one switch, could it be that the current fuse isn't coping and so keeps blowing?
Customer: replied 2 months ago.
No chance that I am spending more money on this. I have already spent £11 and have got precisely nowhere yet!
Expert:  JamesI replied 2 months ago.

You can ignore options for additional services (needing to pay more) - they are just automated adverts).

What is the current make and model of the dimmer you have, I would imagine its a back EMF causing the issue, so a higher amp circuit shouldnt be required, but you may need something which has a higher trip time. Second what are the lights your using are they LED or are you using fluorescent

Expert:  JamesI replied 1 month ago.

Do you still require assistance?

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
Sorry for the delay in replying. I have been trying to find out what model the dimmer switch is. It's a varilight led dimmer switch. The bulbs being used are the new generation type suitable for a dimmer switch. The all-new wiring worked fine when it was installed but we thought twelve lights on one on/off switch was not ideal in a sitting room. Our electrician then installed the dimmer switch and dimmable bulbs. The lights worked until the switch was turned up to full brightness which tripped the fuse in the fuse box. The electrician has now disconnected the last three lights in the set of twelve and the dimmer no longer trips in the fuse box when lights are turned up to full power.
Expert:  JamesI replied 1 month ago.

Thank you for clarifying, can you tell me if the fuse which trips is providing power to other lights (eg the entire of down stairs), and what size fuse it is, this is normally shown on the fuse in the form of writing such as B16 or 16A. Secondly what wattage is each of the LED bulbs used?

It would be helpful to know the exact model of the dimmer and bulb, the details of the dimmer can be found on a label if you unscrew the dimmer switch, however its wise to switch of power before removing the switch.

Expert:  JamesI replied 1 month ago.

Do you have any further questions?

Expert:  JamesI replied 1 month ago.

Please confirm if you need anything further or if I can resolve the case