Plumberpro
Plumberpro, Plumber
Experience:  Fully qualified plumbing , heating and gas engineer 20 years experience
77408428

Cannot locate central heating fire valve which we suspect

Customer Question

Cannot locate central heating fire valve which we suspect has locked in off position stopping flow of fuel. This is an old installation - no sign of valve outside and much of pipe work inside is under tiled floor. Is there any way of locating it?
Category: Home Improvement
Expert:  JamesI replied 3 months ago.

Hi, thank you for choosing Just Answer, my name is ***** ***** I will help with your query today.

You would normally use a metal detector, to locate the valve under the floor, other options are intersect the pipe and us a flexible rod or endiscope to work out location or distance of the pipe run before the blockage/valve.

I have also seen mixed success using a thermal imaging camera as the pipe is often colder than the floor.

However most of these things are very time consuming, the quickest route is bring up one tile create an inspection hatch and then locate it, then lift the tile which is above the valve.

Expert:  JamesI replied 3 months ago.

Let me know if you have any further questions about locating the valve.