JamesI
JamesI, Developer
Experience:  I have a portfolio of renovated houses, including DIY projects from installing bathrooms and new heating systems to rewiring.
75967336

I moved in to my flat in February 2018 and over the past ten

Customer Question

Hi,I moved in to my flat in February 2018 and over the past ten years have modernised the flat bit by bit without ever getting permission from the leaseholder company.Now that I want to sell the flat I am nervous about applying for permission retrospectively in case they decide to make me forfeit my lease.I’ve had a look at a hard copy of my lease and it was typed up with a type writer in the 70’s or 80’s so I cannot make head nor tail of it.What should I do?Thank you.Patrick.
Category: Home Improvement
Customer: replied 4 months ago.
Sorry meant February 2008.
Expert:  JamesI replied 4 months ago.

Hi Patrick, thank you for choosing Just Answer, my name is ***** ***** I will help with your query today.

What type of works have you performed, such as Windows external door, electricits, water...

Most leases only concern themselves about utilities and external changes such as Windows and doors to ensure consistency and that they meet safety requirements.

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
Hi James, over the past ten years I have had a new kitchen and new bathroom fitted including new plumbing, etc.I had a new wooden floor installed to replace the dated tile and carpet floor.I had a new combination boiler, pipes and radiators installed to replace the dated water tank boiler system in the property.Double glazing (but have noticed all the other flat now also have double glazing).New floor tiles on my external patio.And I suppose the biggest change would be the plasterboard wardrobes and storage cabinets that I had knocked down and replaced with a modern fitted wardrobe.I can send you a before and after hand drawn map of the flat and scan and send across a copy of my lease if that helps.Thanks.Patrick.
Expert:  JamesI replied 4 months ago.

Ok do you have the gas safe certificate which came with the boiler, as that's all that would normally be asked for by the new owners solicitor.

In terms of other items kitchen, wardrobes etc these are cosmetic and shouldn't need approval, I would ask a neighbour who fitted their Windows, and see if that was done by the lease holder / flat maintenance.

Secondly contact the management agent to say you are thinking of upgrading your Windows would they contribute towards them, and advise of any constraints as you have noticed some other properties have new Windows, they will then tell you their expectations/interpretations of your deeds, without you saying you have already done it.

My guess is they will say do what you want but they need to be same size and colour, and they won't put money towards it by asking for money towards it, it makes it harder for the to give you a unrealistic list of constraints.

Let me know if you need anything further.

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
Hi James, yes, I agree, not overly concerned about the windows. I suppose my biggest concern are the cabinets / wardrobes, the flat previously had a large plasterboard storage cabinet in the middle of the flat that housed the water tank. I had this removed along with the water tank and replaced with a combination boiler.And opposite that storage cupboard was another plasterboard structure that housed a wardrobe that I removed and replaced with a fitted wardrobe fitted against the back wall of the flat.Would these be classed as structural changes?Thanks.Patrick.
Expert:  JamesI replied 4 months ago.
Hi Patrick sorry for the delay in responding.
No these are not structural they are cosmetic as plasterboard is not load bearing, so where no bricks are removed just timber frame its all good.
Expert:  JamesI replied 4 months ago.

Just wanted to follow up as I havent heard back from you in a while Patrick, is there anything further I can assist you with?

Expert:  JamesI replied 4 months ago.

Ive not heard back to you in some time do you need anything further before I close the case?