Plumberpro
Plumberpro, Plumber
Experience:  Fully qualified plumbing , heating and gas engineer 20 years experience
77408428

Our house is about 10 years old and the builders appear to

Customer Question

Our house is about 10 years old and the builders appear to have used 10 mm diameter grey plastic pipes for fresh water supplies. I have tried to use push fit connectors to make changes to some of the pipe runs but they do not seem seal properly on the grey pipes although they work perfectly on 10 mm plastic pipes I have bought recently. Are the older grey pipes different in some way?
Category: Home Improvement
Expert:  JamesI replied 3 months ago.

Hi, thank you for choosing Just Answer, my name is ***** ***** I will help with your query today.

10mm pipe is very narrow for mains water, typically you would use 15mm otherwise have issues with flow rate.

Have a look at a 1-2M stretch of the pipe and see if you can make out the brand of the pipe used it should be written on the pipe.

Around 10-15 years ago there was a range of pipe and connectors out there, as there wasnt really a standard, so it may well be this is the issue, and you need to see if you can get the correct brand of connection.

Failing that a compression joint would be the next thing you could do, but though widlely used I try and avoid compression joints on plastic pipes.