JamesI
JamesI, Developer
Experience:  I have a portfolio of renovated houses, including DIY projects from installing bathrooms and new heating systems to rewiring.
75967336

My livingroom has two lights, each with their own switch.

my livingroom has two lights, each with their own switch. there are three wires in light one, at the moment a blue and red are joined, two blacks are joined all earths joined together which leaves two reds, both are hanging one is live the other dead. any idea how I can wire into a new rose?

Hi Michael, thank you for choosing Just Answer, my name is ***** ***** I will help with your query today.

Can you put this into a quick diagram and attach it, please also advise which of the wires form the ring main\perm live\netural

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
hi james the best I can do is explain how the plasterers have left the wires, as I tried to download picture off my phone but failed.There are three cables A B & C
A Red is connected to C Blue
A Black is connected to B Black
B Red is separate and live
C Red is separate and deadI hope this is ok
regards
mick
Customer: replied 1 month ago.
hi

Hi Michael,

So you need to look at what wires you having going to the switch.

In essence the ceiling rose should have a number of terminals, have a look at the wiring diagram here, from your perspective it sounds like your electrician has wired on switched neutral rather than switched live so the diagram linked is back to front in terms of black and reds and blue and brown.

In which case when referring to the diagram you should connect B RED to position 6 (on the diagram) the pendent Brown\Live connection to position 8

Then position 3 and 4 are your neutral, which go off to the switch, so these would be A Black and B Black

Lastly you need the switch neutral which comes back from the switch which is A Red and goes to position 2 with the pendent blue\neutral connection in position 1.

Test the circuit and check the bulb is work if it is, then we can look at cable C which I assume is part of the ring main or spur to another light.

Let me know how you get on.

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
I will try it out this week end, Thank you for your help. mick

No problem will follow up with you over the weekend.

Do you need any further assistance Mick?

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
hi james tried the wiring and it still blew the fuse. I have had to call an electrician as it looks like we have a wiring fault near switch. thank you for your help.
regards
mick

No problem Mick, appreciate if you can rate response provided to date. Should you think of anything else, please let me know.

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
thanks james. i will give a good rating