canuck the pro
canuck the pro, Handyman
Experience:  Handyman
64367226

I have recently had a new electrical re-wring in my house.

I have recently had a new electrical re-wring in my house. The electrician put some wire on the wrong swall which I intended toa remove at a later date. He told me that he could put the wring on a different wall but the wires will be mended. Is it okay to have mended wire I mean is it recommended? or is it unsafe or could weakened the cablesand maybe have a short life spun?.
Assistant: How old is the system in question? And have you consulted an electrician yet?
Customer: The work was done by an electrician recently. he changed all the wire, except my kitchen and bathroom as they have been recently refurbished and would have to break all the wall to install new wring.
Assistant: Do you plan on doing the work yourself?
Customer: The work has already been done. Did you get my question above about mending the wrire
Assistant: Anything else we should know to help you best?
Customer: No. All I need to know is if it is good practice and safe and durable to have new wires mended as they need to be moved to another wall and will be too short and therefore need to be mended
Customer: replied 2 months ago.
Posted by JustAnswer at customer's request) Hello. I would like to request the following Expert Service(s) from you: Live Phone Call.
Customer: replied 2 months ago.
Let me know if you need more information, or send me the service offer(s) so we can proceed.
Customer: replied 2 months ago.
Thanks. Here is my question agaiin:
is it reliable and safe to have electrical wires/cables mended?
Customer: replied 2 months ago.
My concern is that I just rewried my house, but the wires were placed on a wall whic I intend to remove at a later date. The electrician suggested that we move the wires to another wall but since the wires are going to be short he says the wires need to be mended - otgeeeise he needs to start from scratch and it will be expensive

Hi, my name is ***** ***** I have been in the home improvement and repair field for 20 years. I will be glad to help you today.

When you say mended, do you mean in a junction box that will be accessible or inside the wall? Is there an attic above or a basement below? Did the electrician know that the wall would be removed in the future before starting the work?

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
Hi don't know if it is in a junction box (will ask the electrician) - whatever it is will be inside the wall - there is a loft conversion above and the wires goes up to the loft conversion. As for your second question I think there was a failure in the communication - my daughter did say you might remove the wall in future, but the electrician says he was not aware of that. As long as the wires can be moved safely to another wall I am happy to cover the extra cost because of lack of clarity on our part - but the wires (inside the wall) will be shorter when moving to another wall and will be mended - all I need to know if this is safe and will not give me a problem for the next 20 years . many thanks Amelia

A junction box is just like an outlet box or switch box but instead of a switch a cover is put on and the wires are connected inside. As long as they can install an access box there is not any problem with mending the wires that way. The wires cannot be mended where there is not access to them like inside the wall. As long as the connections are accessible there is not a problem. Actually if there will be electrical plans in the future plan of removing the wall you may just want to leave it as is. No point in spending extra money now to move the wires only to find that you never remove the wall.

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
Many thanks. This was really helpful and aswer my question and settle my concerns. As suggested I'll just leave as it is for the time being. kind regards

You are very welcome

canuck the pro, Handyman
Experience: Handyman