canuck the pro
canuck the pro, Handyman
Experience:  Handyman
64367226

I want to replace a ceiling light in my bedroom with a fan

JA: Hi. How can I help?
Customer: I want to replace a ceiling light in my bedroom with a fan and integral light. Currently the light is switched with a switch that is part of a two way switch from the hallway. Can I wire the fan and still use the two switch to operate the integral light from the hall? Thanks
JA: I'll do all I can to help. How long have you been dealing with this?
Customer: About 20 mins?
JA: Do you plan on doing the work yourself?
Customer: I was hoping to unless it's v complicated. I an do the installation but not the wiring if it's not straightforward
JA: How old is the system in question? And have you consulted an electrician yet?
Customer: About 2 years and no
JA: Anything else we should know to help you best?
Customer: Sorry - 20 years not 2. And I don't think so

Hi, my name is ***** ***** I have been in the home improvement and repair field for 20 years. I will be glad to help you today.

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
OK Thanks

Is there a second switch that is not being used for anything now? So you have the one switch in two locations that operate the light but is there another switch next to that one that currently does not operate anything?

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
There is a single switch in the bedroom but a double switch in the hall , which is downstairs. So I use the hall switch to turn on the bedroom light from downstairs - so I have light when going upstairs and the single switch in the bedroom to turn the bedroom light on and off.
Customer: replied 2 months ago.
There is a fault on the site. My messages aren't sending. Are you still there?
It will be a pretty straightforward installation then. When removing the light only disconnect the wires that are connected to the light. There's a black,white and ground wire. Those are the wires you'll connect to the fan. The fan will have blue,black,white and ground wires. The blue will connect with the black wires. This is in case there is a separate switch for the fan. You don't have that so you'll have to turn the fan on and off with the pull chain or install a remote control.
Customer: replied 2 months ago.
Thanks. Can I install a new switch just for the fan (not the light) instead of a remote?

Not really. You can if you get some new wires put in. You can get a remote control that looks like a light switch though.

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
Ok. I had a look at the fan manufacturer website (Westinghouse) and they say you can’t use a remote and a wallswitch but maybe they are referring to the fan only. I’ll try your solution. Thanks

It was good talking to you. Let me know if you have any issues.