JamesI
JamesI, Developer
Experience:  I have a portfolio of renovated houses, including DIY projects from installing bathrooms and new heating systems to rewiring.
75967336

I need some advice. My built in single oven has packed in.

Customer Question

I need some advice. My built in single oven has packed in. I’ve ordered a replacement but I’ve discovered that the old one is only plugged into a double socket behind it along with a built in microwave(that I’m also going to replace). The old oven is rated at 3-3.2kw, and the new one is 3.48kw. From what I can gather, the old oven should have been connected to a cooker point with a minimum of 16A. The same would go for the new one. Everything is built in with a stone floor. How can I safely attach the new oven?
JA: What's the microwave's make and model? And can you guesstimate how old it is?
Customer: The oven and microwave are both Electrolux and are at least 18 years old. The microwave isn’t an issue. The new one is only 900w and can just plug in.
JA: Do you plan on doing the work yourself?
Customer: Not if I have to fit a cooker point. But I don’t know how I’m going to get cabling from the mains/fuse box under the stairs across the kitchen diner to the oven housing
JA: Anything else we should know to help you best?
Customer: The new Oven and Microwave are both Zanussi
Category: Home Improvement
Expert:  JamesI replied 5 months ago.

Hi, thank you for choosing Just Answer, my name is ***** ***** I will help with your query today.

Customer: replied 5 months ago.
Customer: replied 5 months ago.
Not really
Expert:  JamesI replied 5 months ago.

Right so your asking how you go about installing the new 3.48KW appliance, do you know what rating the fuse is in the consumer unit and the size of the cable ?

Customer: replied 5 months ago.
I assume that the old oven has a 13amp fuse. It's only attached by 3 core power cable and plugged into a normal twin socket
Expert:  JamesI replied 5 months ago.

If you look at the consumer unit (fuse box) can you see a specific fuse for oven\cooker?

Customer: replied 5 months ago.
Doesn't appear to be. There is one for the kitchen but not a specific one marked oven
Expert:  JamesI replied 5 months ago.

Right then it points towards the oven being connected on a 32A ring main circuit then, the most you can pull via a 13A socket is 3KW, so if you want to go for a 3.5KW appliance you need to put in a 16A circuit which requires running a new radial direct from the consumer unit.

Customer: replied 5 months ago.
The fuse in the consumer unit is marked B32
Expert:  JamesI replied 5 months ago.

Yes however that is to power the 32A ring main you should have a 16A circuit for the oven it shouldnt be a spur off the ring main, as that only leaves less than 16A for remaining devices plugged into the sockets.

Expert:  JamesI replied 5 months ago.

To run a new radial you would need a new B16 MCB in the consumer unit, then at least 2.5mm2 twin and earth from the consumer unit to the cooker, this could be run via walls or ceiling (if the floor isnt an option), however I would think about putting in 6mm that way if you want to put in an electric hob or induction hob you have sufficient bandwidth in the cable to provide power.

Expert:  JamesI replied 5 months ago.

Please confirm if I can mark the question as closed?