Plumberpro
Plumberpro, Plumber
Experience:  Fully qualified plumbing , heating and gas engineer 20 years experience
77408428

I have been re-painting my bathroom walls with a water-based

Customer Question

I have been re-painting my bathroom walls with a water-based eggshell supplied by Little and Greene. In one area, at high level, and seemingly sound, the paint to which this new coating has been applied, has began to flake and peel. Any suggestions please.
JA: How long has this been going on? And how severe is the problem?
Customer: All other re-painted areas are sound, and as to severity, I would say the problem is quite severe.
JA: Do you plan on doing the work yourself?
Customer: Yes
JA: Anything else we should know to help you best?
Customer: Not that I can think of. I have now covered the affected area with white undercoat, and shall let this dry before rubbing down, by hand. to attempt to achieve a smooth surface.
Category: Home Improvement
Expert:  Nicola-mod replied 5 months ago.
Expert:  Andrew Smith replied 5 months ago.

Do you think it may have had something affect the surface to prevent the paint sticking?

Try scraping the paint away and cleaning with sugar soap and then try again when dry, a thin coat at a time as a thicker coat can peel easier.