JamesI
JamesI, Developer
Experience:  I have a portfolio of renovated houses, including DIY projects from installing bathrooms and new heating systems to rewiring.
75967336

My kitchen has an Icon Airflow extractor fan, but also a

Customer Question

My kitchen has an Icon Airflow extractor fan, but also a cooker hood extractor- is there a reason that both would be needed and if not, how big of a job would removing the Icon unit be?
Category: Home Improvement
Expert:  Nicola-mod replied 9 days ago.
Expert:  JamesI replied 6 days ago.

Hi, thank you for choosing Just Answer, my name is***** see you raised a question some time ago do you still require assistance?

Customer: replied 6 days ago.
I still require assistance.
Expert:  JamesI replied 6 days ago.

It depends if the cooker hood vents internally or vents externally, as you may want to remove moisture and hot air from the kitchen which the Icon would do but the cooker hood (if recirculating) wouldnt.

In terms of removing the Icon, what do you have in mind just brick up the exterior?

Customer: replied 5 days ago.
I'll have to check where the hood vents to - it's more of a cosmetic thing as I would rather just have the hood without the Icon unit sticking out of the ceiling in front of it.
Expert:  JamesI replied 5 days ago.

Understood in that case if your not worried about the exterior, you can use some expandable foam to block up the hole and refit the rear grate rather than bricking it up.

Once the exterior is blocked up with foam you can cut the pipe and make good the plaster, I would say its about 6 hours work over 2 days, elapsed time is significant to allow times for plaster to set, sand, finishing plaster then paint.

Expert:  JamesI replied 2 days ago.

Do you need anything further?