Christopher Coleman
Christopher Coleman, Construction Worker
Experience:  Owner at Big River Service Center
66637759

I have a question about my heater Assistant: I'll do all I

Customer Question

Hello. I have a question about my heater
Assistant: I'll do all I can to help. How long have you been dealing with this?
Customer: We noticed it in May. Three electricians been here so far. But not sure what to do. Would you be able to help me
Assistant: Do you plan on doing the work yourself?
Customer: No. But I would like some advice
Assistant: Anything else we should know to help you best?
Customer: So we have a storage heater and we noticed sparks overnight. Would that be normal or we need to fix it?
Submitted: 1 month ago.
Category: Home Improvement
Expert:  Christopher Coleman replied 1 month ago.

Hi, my name is ***** ***** expert here for almost a decade and thank you for using JustAnswer. I am extremely sorry that nobody has answered your question yet. I just got your question sent over to me.

It is never normal for a heater to be sparking. This sparking presents a very high risk of starting a fire and needs to be repaired and evaluated before using it again.

If you are satisfied with the information provided just click the 5 stars to close this request before you leave or the system will continue to notify you and i wont get credit for assisting you. If you have any other questions let me know i will be happy to help you. Please be safe when doing repairs your safety is our number one priority. We are always here for you at Just Answer. Thank you kindly and have a great day.

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
What would be possible wrong that can cause sparkles in the storage heater?

Who is the manufacturer and what is the model number?

They are all about the same drawing power over long periods but can be lint or other debris that get inside and is shorting especially if you have pets inside. The resistance wire inside may be damaged. Since the unit is storing the heat at night that is the greatest amount of electricity that is being used and so the time you would expect any defects to show up and then less of a risk as the unit releases slowly the stored heat.

Anything that can cause a shorter path for the electricity when it is using more at night will cause sparks and any sparks are capable of starting a fire.

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
The heater is Sunhouse Series C.

OK, just a standard off peak storage heater like all the rest. The cause is usually something getting in the unit and if you have a vacuum that can be reversed flow you can blow air thru the unit and clean out stuck debris/dust/hair which may be the cause. If it continues to spark then you will for certain need it looked out. There is no reason to risk your home and life from a sparking storage heater if it doesn't stop. Give it a good blowing out and that may fix the problem though.

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
Thank you very much for your help. Cleaned everything already but nothing changed really. I hope not to have a fire.

Yes, while it is going to cost some money to have it completely checked out it is not worth risking your home and life over. Be safe and good luck!