Andrew Smith
Andrew Smith, Plumber
Experience:  City and Guilds Qualified plumber
46681511

Hiya, we had our house fully rewired about 6 years ago. We

Customer Question

Hiya, we had our house fully rewired about 6 years ago. We used a reputable electrician, NICEIC registered, good reviews. Since the rewire, though, we've had about 10 burnt out sockets. This is usually with a 2000w heater plugged in, so it's only with the high energy devices. Whatever heating device we use, expensive or no, will always burn out a socket - we typically go through 2-3 heaters per winter, and all of them are replaced because they burn up a socket. Weve had new sockets put in by another electrician, and was assured that the problem was solved, but the same thing keeps happening. Is there something wrong with the wiring, or should we accept that this is how it is? Multiple heating devices, multiple sockets, same outcome.
Assistant: What's the brand and model of your product?
Customer: Weve had various- hotpoint, electrolux, cheap space heaters, delonghi, etc. The sockets are provided by the electricians, not sure of their brand.
Assistant: What have you tried so far with your Hotpoint product?
Customer: That was a dryer that burnt out
Assistant: Anything else you want the Electronics Expert to know before I connect you?
Customer: The rest were heaters Nope, that's it, thanks
Submitted: 1 month ago.
Category: Home Improvement
Expert:  Andrew Smith replied 1 month ago.

It sounds like cheap sockets, but strange if you have had them replaced and the same has happened again.

I assume the plugs are getting hot, this could be the only cause I can think of.

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
We hired an electrician specifically to replace burnt out sockets. He supplied sockets he guaranteed wouldn't burn out, and yet here we are. In fairness, only one of his has burnt out, and that was with a high power heater. Is this just something we'll have to accept, or is something wrong? It seems dangerous to me. I'm assuming the plugs get hot, we only find out once the heater turns off and there are scorch marks on the plug and socket.
Do your plugs get hot?
Customer: replied 1 month ago.
They do, but we're not checking them all the time, and every heater we've ever had has hot plugs.
I assume they're on continuously?
Customer: replied 1 month ago.
They usually are on for a few hours at a time, but not 24/7
Poor connections in the rear of the sockets could create additional heat but as you have had new sockets fitted it is highly unlikely to occur twice.
Customer: replied 1 month ago.
Hmm...but it has, we've had several of the original rewired sockets burn out, replaced by new electrician with decent sockets, same thing happened. This is why I was wondering if something further was wrong with the wiring.
Cables used for 32A ring mains are rated to at least 25A each
If there was a problem with wiring it wouldn't show as a socket or plug problem.
Any issues with sockets without heaters?
Customer: replied 1 month ago.
we have one of the sockets thats adjacent to our cooker that's a bit dodgy, will work sometimes and sometimes not (its seems to be arbitrary, somewhat depending on how firmly we plug a device in).
Ok, but not burning out?
Do your sockets have a name on?
Customer: replied 1 month ago.
Nope, not burning out, just randomly not working. I'm pretty sure they dont have names on them, they were supplied via the electrician.
Ok, I suggest you swap one that you use regularly for a heater and see how it performs. Try a good socket like MK or similar.