JamesI
JamesI, Developer
Experience:  I have a portfolio of renovated houses, including DIY projects from installing bathrooms and new heating systems to rewiring.
75967336

I have a large apartment, I would like to split it into 2

I have a large apartment , I would like to split it into 2 flats for my Grandkids... I've got the electrics split , water supply doesn't seem to be a problem.. It's the has supply I'm worried about . We have a gas supply and meter , but need to split the supply so we have 2 meters , is this a plumbers job or my supplier ?
JA: How old is the system in question? And have you consulted an electrician yet?
Customer: 6 years old , all electrical work done .
JA: Do you plan on doing the work yourself?
Customer: No
JA: Anything else we should know to help you best?
Customer: No I don't think so

Hi, thank you for choosing Just Answer, my name is ***** ***** I will help with your query today.

All utility meters (gas, electric and water) require the both utility suppliers and distributors to be involved.

The utility supplier owns the meter, however the company fuse and wire going to it are owned by the distributor.

However the first thing to do is contact your utility provider explain what your wanting to do and they can then run a new feeder from the street into the property and put in a new meter.

Once done you then can get the electrician to install the consumer fuse board and isolate the circuits.

Is there anything else you require?

Customer: replied 17 days ago.
I'm asking about Gas , I want to know about a sub meter , so the one supply is split into two , with a meter that can be read so I know what flat has used what gas

Ok if your installing a sub meter, then that is owned by the property owner in the same way as a consumer unit is. This is common in many business where they sublet or want to know how much gas a boiler is using for example.

To setup two sub meter you would just need a Gas Safe engineer to install them off the feed from the main meter.

However that would mean you would in turn have to recharge for Gas within each flat (taking the utility bill from the utility meter), the constraint is that each flat couldnt chose who their energy supplier was.

Customer: replied 16 days ago.