How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • Go back-and-forth until satisfied
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Tim Cooke Your Own Question
Tim Cooke
Tim Cooke,
Category: Home Improvement
Satisfied Customers: 1161
Experience:  Owner at Self-employed
Type Your Home Improvement Question Here...
Tim Cooke is online now

The side wall of the house, in Dagenham, is a stony finish.

Customer Question

Hi, The side wall of the house, in Dagenham, is a stony finish. From the first floor window, there is a crack which leads down, about a metre, to the main door below on the same side. There are also some cracks on the inner wall in about the same area which appear slightly swollen. Any advice please would be very welcome.
JA: What specific appliance or part are you working with?
Customer: Haven't started anything yet. I have no idea.
JA: How long has this been going on? What have you tried so far?
Customer: Noticed the crack about a month ago. Don't know what to do? Who to contact.. Many thanks.
JA: Anything else we should know to help you best?
Customer: I have no idea as to what the first step would be.
Submitted: 8 months ago.
Category: Home Improvement
Customer: replied 8 months ago.
Posted by JustAnswer at customer's request) Hello. I would like to request the following Expert Service(s) from you: Live Phone Call.
Customer: replied 8 months ago.
Let me know if you need more information, or send me the service offer(s) so we can proceed.
Expert:  Virtual-mod replied 8 months ago.

I've been working hard to find a Professional to assist you with your question, but sometimes finding the right Professional can take a little longer than expected.

I wonder whether you're ok with continuing to wait for an answer. If you are, please let me know and I will continue my search. If not, feel free to let me know and I will cancel this question for you.

Thank you!
Customer: replied 8 months ago.
It's not a wide crack, but visible from outside. I'm not sure what sort of specialist I would need to contact. Would a plasterer be able to mend this? I'm really not sure. the wall is not a brick type. Built about 1930's. Many thanks for advice.
Customer: replied 8 months ago.
Hi, I am ok to continue to wait for an answer. v. grateful for your help.
Expert:  oleksandrav-mod replied 8 months ago.
I apologise as we have not yet been able to find a Professional to assist you. Do you wish for me to continue to search for someone to assist you or would you like for us to close your question at this time?
Thank you for your patience,
Customer: replied 8 months ago.
I would be grateful if you can continue. I really have no idea what sort of persons could help to sort it. Would I need to contact Builders or something like that?
Expert:  Tim Cooke replied 8 months ago.

The very first thing to do is take good photographs in good light.

After that, contact your building insurance company - they will guide you in what to do. For example, they may ask you to obtain two (or three) quotations from builders who can advise on the problem. If the remedial work is substantial then they might provide their own contractors. They might well send a surveying company to install visible markers that allow them to accurately monitor the width of the crack.

Also, start and keep an accurate diary of events, including each time that you contact the insurance company or anyone else.