JamesI
JamesI, Developer
Experience:  I have a portfolio of renovated houses, including DIY projects from installing bathrooms and new heating systems to rewiring.
75967336

I'm trying to wire up a new extractor fan in my bathroom -

JA: Hi. How can I help?
Customer: I'm trying to wire up a new extractor fan in my bathroom - it's a humidity model. There are 4 electrical connections: 1. Neutral 2. Switched live 3. Spare & 4. Live I have 3 wires - Red, blue & Yellow - which goes where?
JA: Have you talked to an electrician about this?
Customer: No
JA: What have you tried so far?
Customer: Red- live, Blue - Neutral & Yellow Switched live and it works but it is supposed to run on a bit and then turn off - it doesn't turn off! I've adjusted the necessary sensors but it makes no difference! I think I have just wired it to run!
JA: Anything else we should know to help you best?
Customer: Don't think so

Hi, thank you for choosing Just Answer, my name is James and I will help with your query today.

Ok so the 3 core wire you have currently is that connected tot he ceiling, typically you would have a 4 core cable so the fan can run for a few minutes after the light is switched off to help remove moisture.

Customer: replied 11 days ago.
It is 4 core and it was wired in to the old extractor fan. As you say, it is designed to run for a few minutes and continue to run until the levels of humidity have been reduced. So I have Red, Blue, Yellow+ Earth wire. I need to find out which wire goes where please

Ok Red is your perm live, blue is neutral and yellow switched live.

You can verify this by checking with a multi meter or electrical screw driver that the red is live even when the light is off and yellow is only live when light is on.