Tim Cooke
Tim Cooke,
Experience:  Owner at Self-employed
106972271

I have a rental property with mould in the bedroom. The

Customer Question

HI, I have a rental property with mould in the bedroom. The mould has only appeared after the fascia'a sofits and guttering were replaced (previously wood) with PVC. The mould only appears at the top of the walls. The tenant uses the trickle vents and leaves the windows ajar on the secure lock. So ventilation would see to be ok. Could it be that there is still moisture in the old fascia's and due to the new PVC the only way it can dry out is by penetrating internally?
JA: What specific appliance or part are you working with?
Customer: none
JA: How long has this been going on? What have you tried so far?
Customer: about 18 months, just the ventilation tasks outlined above.
JA: Anything else we should know to help you best?
Customer: no
Category: Home Improvement
Expert:  Tim Cooke replied 20 days ago.

Frankly it's highly doubtful that there was ever so much moisture outside that it would lead to persistent damp and then mould inside.

It's far more likely that the guttering is incorrectly installed, and water is getting to the wall and penetrating through, or that you have a roof leak.

Does this house have cavity walls, or solid? Was any part of the roof disturbed at the time of the work?

Customer: replied 20 days ago.
Thanks for the response, the property has cavity walls. I'll go back to the fitting company that did the guttering.
Expert:  Tim Cooke replied 20 days ago.

Cavity walls makes it more likely that it's a roof leak. It might be nothing to do with the guttering contractor, but unfortunately there are some unscrupulous people who will do a job and before they leave cause a problem that they hope to be called back to fix.

If you know anyone who has a drone (with a camera), you could get a good look at what's going on up there.

Customer: replied 20 days ago.
Thanks, its a trusted supplier that ive used time and time again. So if it is the guttering its a genuine issue. Ill get it investigated. Thanks for your help.
Expert:  Tim Cooke replied 20 days ago.
Understood. You’re welcome.

One last thing - the soffit(s) should be vented.
Customer: replied 20 days ago.
Ooh not sure they are. Will check
Expert:  Tim Cooke replied 20 days ago.

I should rephrase that. What I meant is that it shouldn't be possible for moist air to be trapped above the soffit. If your previous soffit rotted, it's possible that there wasn't adequate roof ventilation before. If that's the case, then there could now be condensation forming on the top of the inner skin of the cavity wall, and the result of that is kind of obvious in terms of the damp that you see inside.

Roofs/gutters are more complicated than most people realise, and it might be that your recent contractor has been inadvertently caught out by an error in the previous/original build.