Christopher Coleman
Christopher Coleman, Building Inspector
Experience:  Owner at Big River Service Center
66637759

Is someone free to speak now, Can someone speak now though,

Is someone free to speak now
JA: JustAnswer requires a modest payment. You'll see the amount on the next page. It's way less expensive and more convenient than any face-to-face visit.
Customer: Can someone speak now though
JA: I'll do all I can to help. How long have you been dealing with this?
Customer: Is someone available to speak now
JA: Do you plan on doing the work yourself?
Customer: No
JA: Anything else we should know to help you best?
Customer: no

What do you need assistance with?

Customer: replied 6 days ago.
Getting a new carpet fitted tomorrow and have gone to move furniture around
Customer: replied 6 days ago.
I don’t want a phone call
Customer: replied 6 days ago.
Advice over the chat is fine
Customer: replied 6 days ago.
There is damp in the corner of the room and little droplets of water under the carpet in the corner. What do you think this could?
Customer: replied 6 days ago.
Is someone there?
Customer: replied 6 days ago.
This is a photo

Is this a brick home?

Customer: replied 6 days ago.
it is

I assume it hasn't been tuck pointed in some time if at all correct?

Customer: replied 6 days ago.
What does that mean

I doubt you have a water vapor barrier and behind that was is soaked insulation covered in mold... You need this inspected for sure as this mold can cause nasty health effects.

Customer: replied 6 days ago.
Ok

If you have any problems or need additional assistance once we finish I would be happy to come back in and the system will notify me if you post again. Otherwise please rate my service 5 stars so I get credit for my time as we are verified expert consultants and not employees. If you don't give 5 stars I don't get credit for my time.

Customer: replied 6 days ago.
What would need to be sorted for it not to be damp / condensation

A plastic sheet barrier and insuring that the brick joints are tuck pointed "sealed from moisture entering them".

This is behind the wall so the wall stays dry.

Customer: replied 6 days ago.
Where does the plastic sheet barrier go?
Customer: replied 6 days ago.
will you have to knock the wall down and rebuild?

Behind the wall in the wall cavity between the inside wall and outer brick wall.

Customer: replied 6 days ago.
will you have to knock the wall down and rebuild

No you just open that panel inside and see what the condition inside is. Sometimes there are huge amounts of mold inside the wall and you only see a small amount outside it.

You don't knock down the wall.

Customer: replied 6 days ago.
How do you open the wall though I’m confused

With a saw. You cut the molded section and look inside the wall for mold. Then you replace that section after you add a tacked on plastic sheeting. It isn't complicated or major construction.

Customer: replied 6 days ago.
How much?

That varies wildly and there is no average except for small areas of population so you would need to call around and get estimates.

Much cheaper whatever it is than to get sick from the mold...

Customer: replied 6 days ago.
Ok thank you

You are quite welcome!

Customer: replied 6 days ago.
I feel like it’s a ventilation problem rather than something outside in

After decades I have seen all sorts of things and regardless if it is all inside ventilation which I doubt you still have to look in the wall to be sure. Even if you paint over it if you have mold in the wall it will get worse and you normally start having sinus issues and sometimes hospitalization so it simply is not worth ignoring it without looking.

"A pig with lipstick is still a pig..."

If mold is present it will not go away on it's own in almost all cases inside the wall.