JamesI
JamesI, Developer
Experience:  I have a portfolio of renovated houses, including DIY projects from installing bathrooms and new heating systems to rewiring.
75967336

Do I need a transformer for a searchlight 2275-5b fitting.

Hi do I need a transformer for a searchlight 2275-5b fitting. It is a 5xG9 33w halogen or led on mains 220-240v 50Hz ? Thanks
JA: I'll do all I can to help. How long have you been dealing with this?
Customer: Just today. My older version has a transformer but was only halogen. but the new one doesnt have one attached.
JA: Do you plan on doing the work yourself?
Customer: Yes I'm quite capable of wiring but just wondered if I would need a transformer for this fitting. It doesn't mention anything on instructions. Thanks
JA: How old is the system in question? And have you consulted an electrician yet?
Customer: The new light fitting is version 09-05-2019 so assume was made last year. My old fitting that has broken was made in march 2009. I have not consulted my electrician. As I say I only need to know if a transformer is required for the new light fitting.
JA: Anything else we should know to help you best?
Customer: The light works by a pull cord switch. It is a simple loop so it only connects using earth, live and neutral. My old electrician has put all the wires into a connector from the ceiling so I only need to wire up the 3 wires from the connector to the fitting. It's just there was a transformer on the old fitting but not on this new one. Thanks

Hi, thank you for choosing Just Answer, my name is ***** ***** I will help with your query today.

What voltage does the bulb says it runs from does it say 230v or 12v, the light fitting is showing its rated for 110-240v so really down to the bulbs rather than the fitting.

Customer: replied 6 days ago.
It says on the bulb holder sticker G9 halogen bulb max 33w 220-240v or led equivalent. Ah I think the answer is I won't need one. Old fitting said 12v assume that's why transformer required?
Customer: replied 6 days ago.
Yes I understand it's the bulbs now. Thank you

Great so based on the bulbs being 240v, you dont need a transformer, is there anything else I can assist you with?

Customer: replied 6 days ago.
No thanks. Thanks for your help.