Home Improvement Questions? Ask a Handyman for Answers ASAP
Hello, welcome to the Technical section in JustAnswer; my name is ***** ***** I will help you today.Your lighting problem implies that you have a wiring fault somewhere.Could you expand on what you mean by "circuit is off"? Where is the circuit turned off?_____If you receive a phone call offer, please ignore it - these are system generated and outside my control. My understanding is that you won't be charged if there's no phone call.
It's possible that the light switch is faulty. I suggest that you do the following:
1. Turn on the lights at the switch.
2. Isolate the circuit live conductor at the MCB in the consumer unit.Confirm that the lights go out.Are they still glowing, or are they completely off?3. Remove the light switch retaining screws, and pull the switch away from the wall.4. If there are more than two wires or more than two terminals, take a photo of the wiring to the switch.5. Disconnect the wire from the terminal marked "COM" or "COMMON", and make it safe by putting it into a connector block.6. Turn on the MCB that you turned off earlier.Do the lights still glow, or are they completely off?7. Repeat step 2, then reverse steps 5 and 3 and 2.
Hello, how are you getting on with your lighting?