Tim Cooke
Tim Cooke,
Experience:  Owner at Self-employed
106972271

Just in process of fitting out a brick shed, have just done,

Hi Pearl just in process of fitting out a brick shed, have just done
JA: What specific appliance or part are you working with?
Customer: Hi pearl in process of fitting out a 3m sq shws, just finished black jack on floor , ready for board, want to insulate ceiling with beams, and walls but also want new double sockets hiden within insulation & plaster board but dont want to make walls to thick otherwise room will be even smaller, was planning25mm ecotherm & 12.5mm plaster board is that thick enough to take a socket within it ? james
JA: Have you talked to an electrician about this?
Customer: no
JA: How long has this been going on? What have you tried so far?
Customer: nothing so far just working out the wiring & where the sockets would be & also how many boards in need
JA: Anything else we should know to help you best?
Customer: not really only about min thickness for wall or i will have to trunk wiring on the outside easier but not good looking, it only a man cave ! should I just measure depth of back box of double sockets & do the maths !

Hello, welcome to the Technical section in JustAnswer; my name is ***** ***** I will help you today.

25mm is enough for a back box for a socket outlet, so 37.5mm is plenty. If you're thinking of any high power appliances, like a shower with a dedicated circuit, then you might well need a deeper box, but you can always use a surface mount pattress.

_____

If you receive a phone call offer, please ignore it - these are system generated and outside my control. My understanding is that you won't be charged if there's no phone call.

Customer: replied 14 days ago.
no it just a few sockets for TV and also sockets to plug in laptop & music , do i need to buy the sockets with the flaps to pin back , what rating of cable should I get the grey wire but ive seem 3 types ,probably the biggest thing would be a hoover or a fan heater or even those naff electric wood burners ! obviously the biggest amp is best but harder to bend et
Customer: replied 14 days ago.
Hi Tim this is first time on DIY chat do you get this ? james
Customer: replied 14 days ago.
Hi Tim sorry not sure of next process do I have to phone you ? james

Hi James - I was having lunch, so away from me desk, sorry.

Customer: replied 14 days ago.
ok would prefer on line chat about sockets

Online is fine. Please ignore the phone call offer. I will be here until 1pm and then out until about 5pm.

Your question about socket outlets - is this a weatherproof building?

Customer: replied 14 days ago.
it bricks & tiled roof 100% dry

Moving on to the installation, and cable gauge, are you creating a new circuit from the consumer unit?

Customer: replied 14 days ago.
no was just planning to extend the wiring from the existing socket

More questions!

Do you know what kind of circuit the existing socket is connected to?
What is the rating of the breaker?
What will be the total load of the appliances and tools you use in the shed?

Customer: replied 14 days ago.
the circuit board says out house 15A , it will just be lapstops tv and occasional fan heater nothing big
Customer: replied 14 days ago.
the out houses have a separate switch on circuit board

The things that determines the course of the design are:

1. Whether the existing circuit is a radial or a ring;

2. The gauge of the cable already installed to the outhouses.