Tim JA
Tim JA, Construction Worker
Experience:  Owner at Self-employed
106972271

I have bought a new build properties and looking for some

Customer Question

Hi I have bought a new build properties and looking for some advice on building regs if you could help?
JA: What specific appliance or part are you working with?
Customer: It is the garden. Our property was built on a hill so the garden had to have steps leading up to the back gate. They have built the steps with a supporting wall in front of our patio door. Theh said it had to go there for wheelchair access. With the main door fully open there is a 650mm gap between the door edge and the wall edge so no room at all for a wheelchair to get through. I can't even get my maiden through without a lot of maneuvering but the builders are refusing to help
JA: What have you tried so far?
Customer: We have spoke to the site manager who told us to email customer care who told us to speak to the site manager who told us to speak to sales who told us it was down to the site manager. We were told the steps would be in the middle of the garden and we would have a bin area but they are now saying they followed construction plans so they don't take any responsibility. Even the brick layer who built the wall questioned it being so close to the door but they said theres nothing wrong with it
JA: Anything else we should know to help you best?
Customer: I think that's everything
Category: Home Improvement
Expert:  Tim JA replied 1 year ago.

Good morning, welcome to the Technical section in JustAnswer; my name is ***** ***** I will help you today.

I think you should immediately take legal advice. Take lots of photos showing how things are.

Have you completed on the purchase? Do you have a copy of the plans that the builders claim to have followed?
_____

If you receive a phone call offer, please ignore it - these are system generated and outside my control. My understanding is that you won't be charged if there's no phone call.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Hi we never saw a copy of the plans. We bought the property before it was built and didnt see it until after we had completed. We were told it was all built for disabled access but theres no way we can get in or out of that door with a wheelchair
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
This is the gap with me trying to get the maiden through which I cant do with both doors open
Expert:  Tim JA replied 1 year ago.

The gap of 650mm might be in breach of the provisions for fire escape in the Building Regulations, but the gap is usually measured at a height of 1500mm.

I think you should consult your conveyancing solicitor first, and find out who had sight of the plans that were the basis of your purchase. If nobody saw any plans, how did you know how many rooms you were gong to be getting, and of what size, etc.?