Tim Cooke
Tim Cooke,
Experience:  Owner at Self-employed
106972271

I have ceramic core electric radiators, each with its own

I have ceramic core electric radiators, each with its own programmed remote control, similar to Fischer but purchased from a supplier who has since ceased to trade. The remote for my main radiator has gone dead, so I can no longer turn it on or programme it. The manual says that the remote is powered by a power card. Can this be replaced? Is my only option to buy a new radiator?
JA: Do you know the model of your Core radiator?
Customer: Heat Plan Electric Combination radiator, with "Magmatic" core, vertical shape, with a TEI manual room thermostat. Sold to my by The Heat Plan in 2015.
JA: How long has this been going on with your Core radiator? What have you tried so far?
Customer: I have had no trouble with it until today. The remote has a screen which normally displays the time, programmed temperature, room temperature etc. Today, the screen has gone dead and it no longer responds to any of the control buttons. .
JA: Anything else we should know to help you best?
Customer: Would it be possible to disconnect the radiator from the remote so that I can simply switch it on or off from the wall socket? It seems crazy to replace the whole radiator when the only thing that is wrong is the power card in the remote.

Good afternoon, welcome to the Technical section in JustAnswer; my name is ***** ***** I will help you today.

I read your question ("Would it be possible...") just as I was trying to work out how to phrase my answer, so you've made this easy for me.

Disconnecting the heater from its controller is exactly what I would do. To be perfectly frank, almost all of the intelligent panel/storage heaters are a complete PITA. I detest Fischer heaters because Fischer refuses to release any technical data to any engineer who isn't a Fischer employee, so customers are locked in to using Fischer for maintenance. Even the Dimplex intelligent heaters are awful, because parts used to be available but aren't anymore. And don't get me started on Credanet.

Sorry. Rant over. The goal with your heater should be to leave the safety devices in place but remove the brain. I'm referring to the overheat and control thermostats. This might be problematic if those devices aren't rated for 240VAC; for example, if they were being used as LV (low voltage) sensors for the controller board then you have a problem. And that problem is probably best solved by heaving the heater into a skip and buying a new, much simpler, appliance.

Do you have any schematic diagrams for your heater?
_____

If you receive a phone call offer, please ignore it - these are system generated and outside my control. My understanding is that you won't be charged if there's no phone call.

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
Many thanks. I shall probably have to get a Fischer. They have a warranty that lasts ten years and they do maintenance, even if it does have to be by their own people. The silly thing is that they could probably fix mine, but of course they wouldn't do that. My radiator is plugged into the mains power supply but it has a small wireless receiver wired into the bottom which communicates with the wireless remote. I wouldn't know how to detach this and it could be dangerous if there was no more heat control. I was wondering if the "power card" is something that can be replaced, rather like a SIM card. Thanks for your answer.

I'm sure that a new "power card" is a part that would have been available at some point, but whether it still is I don't know.

Is there a rating label on the appliance, that shows a model number?

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
No. And the firm which sold it to me is now defunct anyway. I'll put down to experience and replace it. Thanks.

It's still possible that the manufacturer is trading, even if the merchant is not. But in replacing a board you might be expensively postponing the inevitable.

Thank you for your rating :-)