How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • Go back-and-forth until satisfied
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Tim JA Your Own Question
Tim JA
Tim JA, Construction Worker
Category: Home Improvement
Satisfied Customers: 2335
Experience:  Owner at Self-employed
Type Your Home Improvement Question Here...
Tim JA is online now

I would like to ask a question about building regs in the

This answer was rated:

Hello. I would like to ask a question about building regs in the UK, please.

Good afternoon, what is your question?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Hello Tim.I have a question about ventilation in a new kitchen.We are renovating a house and relocating the kitchen to the opposite end. The current/old kitchen has a rickety old extractor hood that has not been used in years.According to building regs:If you are refurbishing a kitchen or bathroom, you will need to ensure that any existing extract ventilation is retained or replaced. If there is no existing ventilation system, you need not provide one (though you can if you wish).We are trying to get to the bottom of whether we are therefore obliged to instal a ventilation system in the new kitchen we are installing at the other end of the house. It's looking likely you do have to, but we're hoping for a way around it as we would prefer to just open a window rather than installing a cooker hood or even an extractor fan.Thanks in advance for any advice you can give.

What you've quoted is a passage from "Approved Document F". The ADs are commonly mistakes for the BRs - they are simply advisory. However, adhering to the AD is a good way of being sure that you're satisfied the BRs.

Whether or not you have to install a ventilation system is down to the air tightness of the building. A draughty house (like my own) tends to ventilate itself. See the Domestic Ventilation Compliance Guide. See section 1.1 of that guide, which explains the jurisdiction and purpose of the ADs and related guides. The DVCG gives objective ways of meeting the BRs, which the BRs and ADs do not.

If the refurbishment is under Building Control, then I advise you to consult the BCO about this. They are the person who decides whether or not the building work passes muster. Be open and honest to the BCO, and they will be good to you. They're there for your health and safety, not to be obstructive. Some BCOs need more "understanding" than others ;-)

Tim JA and other Home Improvement Specialists are ready to help you
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Thanks very much, Tim. I'll pass that on to my husband and get back to you if we need to clarify anything.
Your detailed answer is much appreciated.

Thank you for your rating :-)