How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • Go back-and-forth until satisfied
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask JamesI Your Own Question
JamesI, Developer
Category: Home Improvement
Satisfied Customers: 6304
Experience:  I have a portfolio of renovated houses, including DIY projects from installing bathrooms and new heating systems to rewiring.
Type Your Home Improvement Question Here...
JamesI is online now

My son has ms.he is in a nursing home .i need ramps put in

This answer was rated:

hi my son has ms.he is in a nursing home .i need ramps put in so he can visit me at home .dont know what kind i need the nhs ones i have are not strong enough for his wheel chair .when he goes over the threshold they slide and his wheel chair falls to one side .
JA: What specific appliance or part are you working with?
Customer: just 2 ramps.
JA: How long has this been going on? What have you tried so far?
Customer: he has been in the nursing home 3 years .so about 4 years .i dont like asking for help as there are other people worse .
JA: Anything else we should know to help you best?
Customer: i had french doors put in a few weeks ago to make it easies for him .he is scared know in case it happens again .he says he cant come and visit me anymore because if this .i am in a council house

Hello and welcome to JustAnswer!

This is James, I'm a Property Developer with over 10 years of experience, and I'll be assisting you today

Sorry to hear your appliance is having issues, please stand by while I find the answer for you, this is not an immediate service however I will try and respond as soon as possible.
Have you reached out to the Council to ask about having suitable accessibility provided, the Council have access to a range of ramps and would be best placed to advise what they would be happy to do to the property.

Customer: replied 4 days ago.
i have been in touch with the council .if john lived at home yes they would put ramp in .because he is in nursing home they cannot help .

Right but would not not give you the details of the contractor they would use to install one?

Customer: replied 4 days ago.
No that's all the information they gave me.

Understood, if you contact NHS Occupational Therapy or Social Services advise them you son wishes to come and visit you and you are trying to make 'reasonable adjustments' to enable that to happen, they should be able to come out assess the property and then recommend changes and one of those would be a specification for a ramp.

They can also put you in touch with the suppliers they use for provision of a ramp, the alternative is contact a mobility firm such as the one on 01608 663759 advise them the width of the ramp and highlight of the step and they can advise options.

If you have further questions, please do not hesitate to ask them!
My goal is to offer you the best possible experience!
If you need further assistance, please use the answer box below and let me know. It has been a pleasure to be of service to you!

JamesI and other Home Improvement Specialists are ready to help you