Tim Cooke
Tim Cooke,
Experience:  Owner at Self-employed
106972271

My Triton Belize shower is running hot and cold. In a

Hi, my Triton Belize shower is running hot and cold. In a previous unit I have replaced a solenoid. Would this be a similar problem solve by inserting a new solenoid?
JA: Do you know the model of your Triton? Have you talked to a plumber yet?
Customer: Triton Belize as far as I know. No I have not spoken to a plumber.
JA: How long has this been going on with your Triton shower? What have you tried so far?
Customer: Just since Sunday morning. We have not used the shower since then.
JA: Anything else we should know to help you best?
Customer: I don't think so. Shower unit is 3 to 4 years old.

Good morning, and welcome to the Technical section in JustAnswer. My name is ***** ***** I will help you today. There's no time pressure on this topic - it will stay open to you for many days, and you can reply at any time. I will be away from my desk sometimes, but will respond as soon as I can.

The solenoid doesn't play any part in the temperature control, so I suggest you don't replace that.

When the heater can gets scaled up, which happens faster in a hard water area, the temperature of the water is less stable. I suggest the following test:

1. Remove the shower handset so you have just the open end of the hose. Put the hose washer aside so that it doesn't get lost.

2. Turn on the shower and run for 20 seconds at maximum power and maximum temperature. Does the shower make a lot of noise, like a kettle?

3. While the water is running, switch abruptly to the coldest setting and direct the jet of the hose to the part of the shower tray (or bath) that's furthest from the waste. The hower unit should go silent. Do you get a lot of particles of scale coming out of the hose, with the water?

Customer: replied 8 days ago.
Hi Tim - yep, carried out your instructions five times. Splinters of scale appeared, more so the second and third times. Maximum hot water probably didn't run for more than 20 seconds or so, but I did have successful constant temperature shower. Cheers ***** ***** seem have solved the problem 10 out of 10 - thanks.

You're very welcome. However, if you're in a hard water area the problem is pretty much guarantee to recur, so you might want to budget for a new heater can. Quite often it's less work to replace the entire shower unit than the heater can, and you would have the advantage of a full warranty on all parts.

If you're happy with my assistance, please rate me using the 5 stars at the top of the page :-)

Thank you for your rating, and your kind bonus :-)