JamesI
JamesI, Developer
Experience:  I have a portfolio of renovated houses, including DIY projects from installing bathrooms and new heating systems to rewiring.
75967336

I'm adding 3 pendant lights to what was just a single light

Customer Question

Hi, I'm adding 3 pendant lights to what was just a single light fitting on a 1 way dimmer switch, I've added the 2 additional light fittings on a daisy chain from the original fitting switch live, neutral and earth so they can all be switched on at once, however, they are not working, the dimmer switch is making a humming noise and I've got a higher rated one which has just blown, what could be the problem?
JA: What's the brand and model of your lighting? How old is it?
Customer: its from next uk , LED bills, brand new
JA: How long has this been going on with your lighting? What have you tried so far?
Customer: bulbs sorry
JA: Anything else we should know to help you best?
Customer: the light fitting works fine with just one light fitted, not with the additional 2, thanks
Category: Home Improvement
Expert:  JamesI replied 7 days ago.

Hello and welcome to JustAnswer!
This is James, I'm a Property Developer with over 10 years of experience, and I'll be assisting you today

Sorry to hear your appliance is having issues, please stand by while I find the answer for you, this is not an immediate service however I will try and respond as soon as possible.

With the bulbs removed what voltage do you have at the furthest bulb in the radial circuit?

Customer: replied 7 days ago.
It’s not really a radial circuit it’s 2 additional pendants attached to an existing light fitting
Expert:  JamesI replied 7 days ago.

Without the information requested I can only provide generic advice at this stage, but happy to elaborate once you provide the addition info.
For now I hope you may find this initial guidance useful.

Technically you are spanning off a ring so its deemed a radial. Based on not being able to verify the voltage going to the pendants, and lack of knowledge in this space I would suggest you get an electrician in to make good the incorrect setup. This would also be notifiable works to building control, so it will likely be cheaper to get an electrician in than paying someone to certify the works performed.

If you have further questions, please do not hesitate to ask them!
My goal is to offer you the best possible experience!
If you need further assistance, please use the answer box below and let me know. It has been a pleasure to be of service to you!