James
James, Developer
Experience:  I have a portfolio of renovated houses, including DIY projects from installing bathrooms and new heating systems to rewiring.
75967336

Wire a new 3 way single gang switch

Customer Question

Wire a new 3 way single gang switch
Category: Home Improvement
Customer: replied 21 days ago.
Link to switch I purchased
https://www.ledkia.com/uk/buy-recessed-electrical-mechanisms/4496-1-gang-3-way-switch.html?gclid=CjwKCAiAkan9BRAqEiwAP9X6UYDyXAxqctYmpYscpvdmE8YEIsEwqfjATqPd3qRYWTN3lRdsFRQDIRoCcksQAvD_BwE&gclsrc=aw.ds
Expert:  James replied 21 days ago.

Hello and welcome to JustAnswer!

This is James, I'm a Property Developer with over 10 years of experience, and I'll be assisting you today

Sorry to hear your appliance is having issues, please stand by while I find the answer for you, this is not an immediate service however I will try and respond as soon as possible.
Are you adding in a new switch or just replacing an existing one?

Customer: replied 21 days ago.
Hi James, replacing an old switch
Expert:  James replied 21 days ago.

Right this switch you provided a link for isnt a 3 way its an intermediate based on the terminals shown in the image, so their description is wrong (or the pictures).

Customer: replied 21 days ago.
Can't call as in the office
Expert:  James replied 21 days ago.

Offers for calls are just automated adverts, you can discard them if you are happy for a typed response (and do not want to pay the additional fee). However it can take time for experts to respond, please be patient and an expert will respond as soon as possible.

However it does appear what your current switch is also an intermediate not a 3 way, since you have 4 wires not three.

So when you move your wires from L1 to L1 and L2 to L2, does the switch not work?

Customer: replied 21 days ago.
the switch with the wires L1 etc is the old one. That works. Its trying to work out where those wires go in the new one which has La1, La2 etc
Customer: replied 21 days ago.
Inc this switch, we have another two switches that controls the hallway lights - so 3 in total
Expert:  James replied 21 days ago.

Ok so its not a three way but a intermediate setup you have.

Anyway referring to the diagram for the new switch the yellow L1, L2 go to Lc1 and Lc2 (far right terminals of the switch in the diagram), the blue L1 and L2 go to La (second terminal from the bottom right) and La (second terminal from top left).

If you have further questions, please do not hesitate to ask them!
My goal is to offer you the best possible experience!
If you need further assistance, please use the answer box below and let me know. It has been a pleasure to be of service to you!

Customer: replied 21 days ago.
Thank you James...I will try that