Tim JA
Tim JA, Construction Worker
Experience:  Owner at Self-employed
106972271

My triton jade 3 electric shower is leaking from out of the

Customer Question

HI - my triton jade 3 electric shower is leaking from out of the bottom of the unit, leaving only a trickle coming out of the showerhead. is this likely to be due to a part that can be replaced or could I be looking at having to replace the whole thing? I'm putting a new bathroom in around September, so want to keep the costs to absolute minimum, but do need to get it working. Any advice?
JA: How old is your Jade product?
Customer: Not sure - we have been here 5 years and I think it was put in about 3-4 years before that. so about 8-9 years, I'd say.
JA: How long has this been going on with your Jade shower? What have you tried so far?
Customer: it went last night. have cleaned the showerhead and pipe in limescale remover, but that's it so far
JA: Anything else we should know to help you best?
Customer: can't think of anything
Category: Home Improvement
Expert:  Tim JA replied 14 days ago.

Good afternoon, and welcome to the Technical section in JustAnswer, an independent paid question and answer platform that matches customers' questions to experts in various skills. My name is ***** ***** I'll be happy to help you today.

The water from the bottom of the unit is coming from the PRD (pressure relief device), which is designed to prevent damage to other parts of the unit of the pressure inside gets too high. Causes of excess pressure are either too much scale in the heater can or scale blocking the holes in the shower handset.

The remedy is two-fold:

1. You'll need a new PRD, because they are one-shot devices. They're cheap.
2. You'll need to find out why the pressure is building up.

Have you checked to see if the handset holes are blocked?
_____

There's no time pressure on this topic - it will stay open to you for many days, and you can reply at any time. I will be away from my desk sometimes, but will respond as soon as I can.

Customer: replied 14 days ago.
Hi Tim - I suspect the pressure build up was due to the showerhead - we replaced it a couple of months ago with a type that could get blocked up too easily, and probably did. Is the PRD replacement something I could do myself or would I need to call a plumber out?
Expert:  Tim JA replied 14 days ago.

You can do it yourself. I will send you a link to the part - bear with me...

Expert:  Tim JA replied 14 days ago.

You can order the part on the following web page. Lower down on that page is a link to a video, showing you how to replace the PRD :-)

https://www.showerdoc.com/triton-pressure-relief-device-82800450

Customer: replied 14 days ago.
thanks
Expert:  Tim JA replied 14 days ago.

You're welcome; I'm glad that I could help.

I hope you enjoyed your experience with JustAnswer.

Have a wonderful week :-)