Tim JA
Tim JA, Construction Worker
Experience:  Owner at Self-employed
106972271

I want to completely redesign the garden in the back of my

I want to completely redesign the garden in the back of my house. What kind of company should I hire in order to get all different kind of services I need done? Should I hire one company for fence, one to remove the tree, other to create a new pation, or is there a kind of service which means doing it all?

Good morning, and welcome to the Technical section in JustAnswer, an independent paid question and answer platform that matches customers' questions to experts in various skills. My name is ***** ***** I'll be happy to help you today.

There are pros and cons to managing the project yourself:

1. It would probably be cheaper overall.
2. It can be very rewarding.
3. It can be very stressful.
4. You can fine-tune things more easily when you're in direct contact with a contractor.

If you choose to PM it yourself, my advice is to never arrange for any contractor to start work the day after the previous contractor finishes. You need at least one, and preferably two, working days of contingency whenever there's a dependency. But never tell the contractor that you have the contingency.

_____

There's no time pressure on this topic - it will stay open to you for many days, and you can reply at any time. I will be away from my desk sometimes, but will respond as soon as I can.

Customer: replied 3 days ago.
Thanks Tim, so you're saying there are trade-offs between managing the project myself and hiring a company which does everything...
In my case, I don't want to manage it myself, I prefer to hire a company, even if I pay a little more. But the thing is - I don't know what to google for! What kind of service do I need? Landscaping? Garden design?
Should I just google for landscape companies and ask each one which services they provide?

Ah OK.

It depends how much excavation and irrigation you foresee. If it's simply a planting plan, and creation of a "an enjoyment space", then a garden design contractor is the best. They are often self-employed individuals, so the most important thing of all is to interview a couple and choose the one that you feel is in tune with you at a very personal level. I've seen projects go wrong because of a personality clash. Or, you can choose a more "corporate" contractor, which will probably bring a bit more formality and a bit more cost.

The very best way of finding a contractor is to ask for a recommendation from someone who know and whose judgment you trust.

Customer: replied 3 days ago.
That makes sense Tim, thank you very much.
In my case, it will involve building a new fence, removing trees, paving part of the floor, etc. So I need to ask my friends for recommendations of garden contractors who deal with all the stuff I need then.
Thanks for your help

I would definitely get an independent fencing company to do just the fence, assuming that you know what you want. When fencing is all you do, it's quick and efficient, because all the tools are in use all the time, and they will have a stock of cement etc., and the muscle needed to do it fast. When fencing is just one string in a diverse bow, it takes longer.

Tim JA, Construction Worker
Experience: Owner at Self-employed

Thank you for your rating, and your kind bonus.  I'm glad that I could help.
I hope you enjoyed your experience with JustAnswer.
Have a wonderful weekend :-)